Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 and ViewSonic 15 GA

Post by Ricc » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> When i typed 'startx', it doesnt work properly.
> Screen turns blank screen.

> how to run X window on those?

> Diamond Stealth 3D 3000: S3_ViRGE/VX
> also i have RedHat 5.1.

> pls help me out!

Have you run the Xconfigurator successfully ?
what messages do you get when you press ctrl/alt backspace ?

--
Ricc Ballard
Linux Redhat 5.1

Post by Denni » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

When i typed 'startx', it doesnt work properly.
Screen turns blank screen.

how to run X window on those?

Diamond Stealth 3D 3000: S3_ViRGE/VX
also i have RedHat 5.1.

pls help me out!

Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 and ViewSonic 15 GA

Post by Denni » Thu, 20 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Have you run the Xconfigurator successfully ?
> what messages do you get when you press ctrl/alt backspace ?

> --

Yes, i did run Xconfigurator.
It automatically detects my video card and monitor.

What's the function of ctrl/alt backspace?

Also Do you know run linux and windows 95 together?

Post by gotc.. » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> Have you run the Xconfigurator successfully ?
>> what messages do you get when you press ctrl/alt backspace ?

>> --

>Yes, i did run Xconfigurator.
>It automatically detects my video card and monitor.

>What's the function of ctrl/alt backspace?

>Also Do you know run linux and windows 95 together?

I use the same card myself (on Red Hat 5.1). Couldn't get it to run on
the S3V server. I had to install the SVGA server, make the appropriate
symbolic links, and run xf86config to use the SVGA server.

I don't think it has anything to do with running multiple OSes.

Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 and ViewSonic 15 GA

Post by Dennis Na » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

> I use the same card myself (on Red Hat 5.1). Couldn't get it to run on
> the S3V server. I had to install the SVGA server, make the appropriate
> symbolic links, and run xf86config to use the SVGA server.

> I don't think it has anything to do with running multiple OSes.

I think it's silly question...

How to install SVGA server?

~_~

Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 and ViewSonic 15 GA

Post by gotc.. » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>> I use the same card myself (on Red Hat 5.1). Couldn't get it to run on
>> the S3V server. I had to install the SVGA server, make the appropriate
>> symbolic links, and run xf86config to use the SVGA server.

>> I don't think it has anything to do with running multiple OSes.

>I think it's silly question...

>How to install SVGA server?

        Assuming you're using RH5.1, you'd be using RPMs. So mount
your CDROM drive (probably at /mnt/cdrom), go to
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS, and then do:

        rpm -ivh XFree86-SVGA-3.1.2-1.i386.rpm
                              ^^^^^
                (or whatever version of XFree86 you're using)

This will install the SVGA server. You must then create a symbolic
link from X to it by doing:

        ln -sf /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA /etc/X11/X

Finally, run xf86config and follow the instructions. I think the card
uses S3 SDAC and you should not probe it. Also remember to use the
default server, which is the SVGA server, not the accelerated servers.
        When everything is done, sit back and enjoy! :)

1. Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86

If your having problems with the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 Pro, and the
Diamond Stealth 3d 3000, in Xfree86, please read.

It's the "pro" part of you Stealth 3d 2000 that is giving you the
problem. It's designed for video in addition to regular display. This is
also a problem with many of the Stealth 3d 3000 cards(but not all). The
fix is to cut it back to 16bpp. You see, at 24bpp and 32bpp, the Stealth
3000 needs a special driver that handles the mpeg/avi video acceleration
features of these cards. But not at 16bpp.

Sometimes you can get away with running the Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 pro,
and the Diamond Stealth 3d 3000 at 24bpp and 32bpp. But chances are
you'll get the following problems:

XF_s3V server: lockups when user exits window manager, screen turns neon
lime green or red(other colors also reported, but these two are the most
common). However, this server works fine at 16bpp.

XF_SVGA server: works great, but acceleration at 24bpp or 32 bpp is not
complete!!!!! Boot up Netscape and you will see what I mean. The buttons
on Navigator will be in black&white.

These problems do not effect the Stealth 3d 2000 "classic", just the
Stealth 3d 2000 Pro and the Stealth 3d 3000 series cards.

Carter

2. Read-only root file system

3. Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 and ViewSonic 15GA

4. TSM error on console

5. Stealth 3D 2000 & Viewsonic 15

6. ippp: no decompressor defined!

7. help : Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 Series

8. Qt 1.2 released (C++ GUI framework)

9. Diamond Stealth 3d 3000

10. ViRGE & Diamond Stealth 3D 3000

11. HELP: Diamond Stealth 3D 3000

12. XFree86 + Diamond Stealth 3d 3000

13. Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 with 4MB RAM