Looking small set of GTK apps

Post by vasan » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:32:40

Hi ,

I am trying to put together a small distribution of Linux applications that
will run well on modest hardware P100MHZ and < 32MB DRAM. Both KDE and GNOME
are too bloated. So I am looking for Xlib/XPM/FLTK/GTK apps which users feel
are stable and usable. I will summarize after I get your feedback.

So here are the categories:

1. Web Browser- This is a very important app. Only one I found so far called dillo.

2. Email Client- Some have recommended Sylpheed.

3. MP3 Player.

4. MPEG-1/2/AVI player.

5. Instant Messanger.

6. Word Processing. AbiWord looks very good and light weight.

7. Text Editor.

8. PPP setup and dialer that doesn't need PAP/CHAP scripts.

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Regards
Kanchan

Post by Ian Stirlin » Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:17:56

>Hi ,
>I am trying to put together a small distribution of Linux applications that
>will run well on modest hardware P100MHZ and < 32MB DRAM. Both KDE and GNOME
>are too bloated. So I am looking for Xlib/XPM/FLTK/GTK apps which users feel
>are stable and usable. I will summarize after I get your feedback.
>So here are the categories:
>1. Web Browser- This is a very important app. Only one I found so far called dil
>lo.

Netscape 3 is quite good.
4.76 is a bit slow. (I used these for a while on a 486/75/24Mb laptop)

6 is a total utter joke on anything less than a P700 or so.

Quote:>4. MPEG-1/2/AVI player.

http://www.mpegtv.com/
I use it for playing mpegs on my p100/40Mb laptop.
It'll play "full-screen" mpegs at 5-8fps, and smaller ones at 25fps.

There is no such thing as an AVI file, it's a container for one of 20+
formats, all of which need their own codecs.
xanim will play a few of these, but quite a few of them are proprietry.
There is a player that will play a few of these under linux, but it's
aimed at

Quote:>6. Word Processing. AbiWord looks very good and light weight.
>7. Text Editor.
>8. PPP setup and dialer that doesn't need PAP/CHAP scripts.

For the last three I'd go with vim, a vi clone.

But, that's me.

Acting is merely the art of stopping a large number of people from coughing
                                                       - Sir Ralph Richardson

Post by 'Professor' J Fri » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:22:42

>>Hi ,

>>I am trying to put together a small distribution of Linux applications that
>>will run well on modest hardware P100MHZ and < 32MB DRAM. Both KDE and GNOME
>>are too bloated. So I am looking for Xlib/XPM/FLTK/GTK apps which users feel
>>are stable and usable. I will summarize after I get your feedback.

>>So here are the categories:

>>1. Web Browser- This is a very important app. Only one I found so far called dil
>>lo.

>Netscape 3 is quite good.
>4.76 is a bit slow. (I used these for a while on a 486/75/24Mb laptop)

>6 is a total utter joke on anything less than a P700 or so.

Mozilla 0.9.5 works fine on my K6/2-400. Particularly if you compile from
source and tell it to basically compile nothing more than a basic browser.
There are of course w3m and links for text browsing. Opera is allegedly
lightweight but I've never tried it.

Quote:>>4. MPEG-1/2/AVI player.
>http://www.veryComputer.com/
>I use it for playing mpegs on my p100/40Mb laptop.
>It'll play "full-screen" mpegs at 5-8fps, and smaller ones at 25fps.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Mplayer does a great job of mpeg 1/2, divx, wmv and various other formats.
It doesn't need a gui but it does have one (now). MpegTV is shareware, I
dunno about including it in distros and the freeware is just the player, no
frontend.

Quote:>>6. Word Processing. AbiWord looks very good and light weight.

Yep. Of course you could use*(+LyX if you're afraid of Logical Markup)
;0). This needs sod all memory and cpu. But it can take up a fair bit of
discspace.

Quote:>>7. Text Editor.

Multitudinous. vi(m), joe, jed, pico for CLI. Emacs is huge so I generally
go for NEdit on the desktop, far more user freindly (IMO, please no editor
wars! ;0).

Quote:>>8. PPP setup and dialer that doesn't need PAP/CHAP scripts.

Erm, wvdial. Always worked for me.

All I use kde for is Konqueror anyway, it's no great loss.

Frink

--
'Professor' J Frink - Ringtail to the Stars & Professional Mossbauer Guru
SciGraphica, Plotting and Analysis: http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Ian Stirlin » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:51:25

>>>Hi ,

>>>I am trying to put together a small distribution of Linux applications that
>>>will run well on modest hardware P100MHZ and < 32MB DRAM. Both KDE and GNOME
>>>are too bloated. So I am looking for Xlib/XPM/FLTK/GTK apps which users feel
>>>are stable and usable. I will summarize after I get your feedback.
<snip>
>>>4. MPEG-1/2/AVI player.
>>http://www.mpegtv.com/
>>I use it for playing mpegs on my p100/40Mb laptop.
>>It'll play "full-screen" mpegs at 5-8fps, and smaller ones at 25fps.
>http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
>Mplayer does a great job of mpeg 1/2, divx, wmv and various other formats.
>It doesn't need a gui but it does have one (now). MpegTV is shareware, I

Mplayer is pretty useless for those intel processors before MMX unfortunately.
(based on a short trial I did a while ago. Downloading the current version
to see if it's better)

"Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he's warm
for the rest of his life"                           -- Terry Pratchett-Jingo

1. Looking for help in setting up a small mail network

I've finally managed to persuade my boss that we should run Linux on a
spare PC to act as our mail server... the only problem is that he
wants me to set it up and I need some help.

We currently run VPOP3 on a Win2000 Server. The email is distributed
to four Win98 machines that we have on the network.

I've installed RedHat 7.1 (publishers edition) on a spare machine and
want to hook it into the rest of the network as the mail server.

We don't have a permanently on connection and therefore will need to
have dialup/hangup automation of some description.

Can anybody suggest:-

1. Software required

2. Where I can find it

3. Ease of use

Thanx

2. Netscape messenger takes approx. 15 seconds to send email

3. looking for resources for setting up a small ISP???

4. LPT Scanner Mustek ScanExpress 6000P

5. Changing font of gtk apps in kde 1.1.2

6. Is there a way to limit a users login time in Linux?

7. gtk-dependent apps and 1.0 vs 1.1

8. looking for Linux Java author

9. Is gtk-app-devel-list-request DEAD?

10. Cursor in GTK apps

11. gtk+ apps first draw in geologic time scales

12. GTK Widget, Bonobo/CORBA app, or Emacs handles suitable for C source code editing?

13. GTK App vanishes before my very eyes