HELP HELP HELP HELP PLZ

Post by Paul » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

OK, I have Slackware setup, Im not profitient in Linux at all, just
learning.  I user Bare.?? as boot I installed all the recommended packages.
 When I try to run XF86Setup it says switching to Graphics mode please
wait, my screen does a lovely dance and then thats it, I tried to Run
XF86Config, I select all the right V and H rates but still nadda, nothing,
Gettin a little peeved.  I want to see what Linux is all about, I am
running an NT server, workstation and win 95.  I would like to try Linux,
see what all the hype is about. If someone has any suggestions I would
really like to hear from you. Thansk!!

Reign

HELP HELP HELP HELP PLZ

Post by Paul C. Frederic » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Wow! don't blow a gasket over it dude.
Wholly.
Mostly though David there is right. Linux isn't Windows 95,
or Windows NT. Thank God for that!
But seriously, you will have to do a bit of reading to get to
the promised land. And hey, just be happy that there's even
any stuff to read! If you go to the limits of Linux you'll pass
the 'documentation line' it's kinda like the tree line in the artic.
Then things can get a little scary. But you're a long way from
there. So, do yourself a favor, become familiar with resources
you can access for information. And use what's there.
First off, you should checkout the hardware list, to see if what
you have is even supported. It takes a bit of time for a lot of the new
whiz bang hardware to gain support in Linux. You know why?
Well, because YOU haven't written any drivers for it.
That, and the people who write Linux drivers don't have that hardware.
Then there's the company that you bought the hardware off of.
They could be a major wrench in the works. Hey, it's your money.
Give them a hard time because they don't support the platform.
But really, they already have your money. Why should they listen
to you now?
Now try this
cd /usr/X11R6/bin
XF86Setup
It's what works for me.
Good luck. And yes we can't hype Linux enough, it's even better than
you've heard. Hehehe
I've been running it for a little while and I'm connected to the Internet,
my own LAN going, I've got Afterstep Window manager going, and
things are just fine and dandy.
BTW: you can keep those other Operating Systems you mentioned.
Keep them.
Linux walks all over the both of them put together times 2.
NT = Nice Try NT = Not Today NT = No Thanks NT = Neanderthal Technology....

Linux the choice of a GNU generation

Warning! All bulk email is forwarded to the appropriate abuse department.
I just love getting spammers kicked off of the net.
Have a nice day. 8^)

HELP HELP HELP HELP PLZ

Post by Stev » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> OK, I have Slackware setup, Im not profitient in Linux at all, just
> learning.  I user Bare.?? as boot I installed all the recommended packages.
>  When I try to run XF86Setup it says switching to Graphics mode please
> wait, my screen does a lovely dance and then thats it, I tried to Run
> XF86Config, I select all the right V and H rates but still nadda, nothing,
> Gettin a little peeved.  I want to see what Linux is all about, I am
> running an NT server, workstation and win 95.  I would like to try Linux,
> see what all the hype is about. If someone has any suggestions I would
> really like to hear from you. Thansk!!

> Reign

Paul:
        You should try to make a subject field in your post
that will help people to identify if there interested in your
post, that'll help you get a response.

as far as your problem: did you install the vga16 server and
make sure the link for X--> XF86VGA16 (I'm pretty sure that is
what it's called)? This is required to run XF86Setup.

If you've already done this, then try to hunt down some error
output and post it, that may help too.

Good Luck!
--
                 \\\|///
               \\  - -  //

+-------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo----------------------------+
Steve Smith
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd                            /|\
Golden, CO 80401                           *
                                         *   *
                                         *   *
Phone: (303)384-6625                       *
FAX:   (303)384-6604                      \|/

http://nsom.eecs.umich.edu/~steve/
               oooO   (   )
                \_)