Upgrading to Newer X Windows problem

Post by Gary K » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
        I am having certain difficulties in upgrading to the latest
version of Xwindows: XFree3.1.2 I believe.  I downloaded all the
tgz extensioned files from /pub/LInux/X11/XFree3.1.2 from sunsite and
I untared the essential files into my /usr/X11R6.  I also followed other
instructions like updating ld.so.conf and others.
        But my problem comes to this, if I change my path so that the
/usr/X11R6/bin comes first before the /usr/X11/bin, then whenever
I start a xterm, it will give me a mesage like 'cannot find
libtermcap.so.2'  But if I don't alter the path and startup the
the startx script in /usr/X11R6/bin (I havn't deleted the old X11),
then I will be running perfectly fine.  I also noticed that my
Xwindows started up TWM and not the FVWM that used to start up.
        Can anyone give some advice for this?  Ultimately, I want to
delete the old X11 because I don't have much hard drive space.  What
steps should I take so that my X11R6 runs independently?
        BTW, the the xf86config and SuperProbe rocks.  I setted up my
XF86Config file in no time.  I remember the old days when setting up
Xconfig is such a pain...

                                                Gary Kao

1. Upgrading SuSE 6.0 -> newer

Trying to update SuSE Linux 6.0 to a newer version, I post YAST to one
of SuSE's mirror sites and tell it to upgrade to 6.1 (I should, of
course, upgrade to 6.2, but in attempting to do so YAST tells me that my
version of YAST is too old). This yields the following error messages:

  Updating your system requires actualisation of the base system.
  Please boot your system as for installation and go on with updating.

When I thus boot the installation off a boot disk, I get the
installation program, but no option to "update" -- only a full install.
So I'm left pondering.

I'd imagine I could build a boot disk with YAST and the necessary driver
modules, but I do not possess the necessary Linux know-how yet. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"He could open a tin of sardines with his teeth, strike a Swan

2. Security Vulnerability in dtspcd **Rev.01**

3. Upgrading 1.0.9 to a newer version

4. Lazy

5. Upgrading to a newer release or snapshot from single-user mode?

6. Liquid

7. Upgrading Redhat to newer version instead of a reinstall

8. smbmount

9. Upgrade NATd from FBSD2.2.8 to newer ver

10. upgrade to newer kernal? (dx2/66 w16)

11. upgrading to a newer kernel

12. Help upgrading kernel using newer version of libc

13. RPM and Upgrading to newer kernels and releases