Redhat 9.0 and NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32MB

Post by Butch Hinto » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 21:09:31

Hi All,
Can't seem to get X to work at all with above setup.
Have tried drivers supplied with Redhat and all downloaded and
installed NVIDIA's latest drivers.

All I am wondering is their any website (other than NVIDIA's) that would

help me with installing and trouble shooting NVIDIA's drivers.

Thanks

Post by J.O. Ah » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 23:41:47

> Hi All,
> Can't seem to get X to work at all with above setup.
> Have tried drivers supplied with Redhat and all downloaded and
> installed NVIDIA's latest drivers.

> All I am wondering is their any website (other than NVIDIA's) that would

> help me with installing and trouble shooting NVIDIA's drivers.

> Thanks

I don't think there is any easy howto for installing the nvidia driver, now
days it's so simple that even a windows user should be able to install the
driver: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

The more tricky part is the XFree86 configuration, but the main setting for
TNT cards are the same as for GeForce cards.

Edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config in your favorite text editor (vi/emacs/...),
start editing your module-section, so it looks like this:

Section "Module"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "record"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "xtrap"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "speedo"
         Load  "type1"
EndSection

Then jump down to device-section (almost in the end) and change the row for
the  driver, so it will look like this:

         Driver       "nvidia"

That should be all, save the new XF86Config and now start your XFree86
(startx) and you should have a working X-environment, of course this requiers
that you installed the driver before.

  //Aho

Redhat 9.0 and NVIDIA TNT2 M64 32MB

Post by Butch Hinto » Tue, 17 Jun 2003 04:55:03

Guess what - I found the problem - the card went south -- i.e.
I ran diagnostics software and the video memory went bad so
got to buy a new card. Thanks for your reply

Butch

Post by J.O. Ah » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:24:15

> Guess what - I found the problem - the card went south -- i.e.
> I ran diagnostics software and the video memory went bad so
> got to buy a new card. Thanks for your reply

Ah, that suxx, my GF2MX400 did the same, so got myself a GF4, I do suggest
that you don't spend money on those GF5 (FX), they are expensive and gives
less preformance than GF4.

  //Aho