colors problem

Post by Dominique Delamarr » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

 maybe it's a FAQ, but, after exploring I found no answer:

When I launch some software on X11 like Xterm or Xtel (a french
videotext communication tool), I get message like:

Warning: Color name "red" is not defined
Warning: Color name "DarkOrange1        " is not defined

the same for "green", "blue" and "gray30" or "gray90".

With Xtel, the program stops because of a failure in calling
XParseColor.

I add some precisions:

I use XFree 3.3.2.3 with a S3Virge server dated from July 15 1998.  it
works fine using 8, 16 et 24 bits per pixel except this color
identification problem.

The only idea I still have is to get the sources of the X11 server and
try to follow what happens. It seems to be a hard job.
That's why I would be grateful if somebody can help me.

        Thanks in advance

                Dominique Delamarre

colors problem

Post by Roland Latou » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> When I launch some software on X11 like Xterm or Xtel (a french
> videotext communication tool), I get message like:

> Warning: Color name "red" is not defined
> Warning: Color name "DarkOrange1        " is not defined

> the same for "green", "blue" and "gray30" or "gray90".

> With Xtel, the program stops because of a failure in calling
> XParseColor.

Check your XF86Config file for a section like this:

Section "Files"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/PEX/"
    RGBPath  "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

The rgb file maps color names to color numbers. Either
1)it's not in your XF86Config file, or
2)you're not using the XF86Config file you think you're using, or
3)the specified rgb file doesn't exist, or
4)(not very likely) it exists and is corrupted/truncated or something,
  so you can use some colors by name, but not the names you mention.

Start/exit your Xserver and look at the diagnostic output to see if
your rgb file is being read, without errors.
--
  Roland Latour  Slackware3.4 & PPP     http://home.cdsnet.net/~rolandl
"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by

1. color-ls color problem...

I've just reinstalled Linux a while ago (redhat 2.0.2)
and when I configured my .bashrc to alias ls as color-ls -o
as usual, the colored entries were in their darker
colors... blue would be dark blue (for dirs)...

I remember something about the /etc/DIR_COLORS being
used but I'm not sure, I looked at that file and it
is set up correctly.

So just to check, I telnetted to a friend's computer
running Linux and logged onto my shell account there,
color-ls -o prints the colors *correctly* while my local
color-ls dosen't, each color is always their darker
color sibling.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

-Taura

2. wireless card install

3. Odd color problems in 16 bit color in XFree86

4. XLib wont let me run xscreensaver (?)

5. Color Problem with fvwm (and no problem with twm), pl. advise

6. All NS settings are gone

7. Konqueror text color problem in RH7.2

8. Linux ICQ

9. Need help on color problem

10. Colour problem in KDE???

11. MkLinux: console colors problem in kernel?

12. Acrobat Reader - Color Problems

13. Help 16 bit color problems