problem: xdm and color depth

Post by Brian Johnse » Thu, 06 Nov 1997 04:00:00

i can't figure out how to run xdm at anything other that 8bpp.  if xdm
is disabled, i have no trouble starting X at 15bpp.  how do i do this
with a machine that enters runlevel 4 by default.  i'm using SlackWare
3.2 and XFree86 3.2

------------------------------
Brian H. Johnsen

http://www.nd.edu/~bjohnsen
------------------------------

"Students made it long ago," said Rincewind. "Handy
way in and out after lights out." "Ah," said Twoflower,
"I *understand*. Over the wall and out to brightly-lit
tavernas to drink and sing and recite poetry, yes?"
"Nearly right except for the singings and the poetry,
yes," said Rincewind.
-- (Terry Pratchett, The Light Fantastic)

problem: xdm and color depth

Post by Manfred Bart » Fri, 07 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> i can't figure out how to run xdm at anything other that 8bpp.  if xdm
> is disabled, i have no trouble starting X at 15bpp.  how do i do this
> with a machine that enters runlevel 4 by default.  i'm using SlackWare
> 3.2 and XFree86 3.2

In ``/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers'' you will find a line for your
Xserver, usually ``/usr/X11R6/bin/X''.  X is a symlink to the real
server.  Change that line to something like this:
    :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -bpp 16

Some people prefer to use a ``~/.xserverrc'' file for the server
options, but I am not familiar with how the options then get passed
to the server.

Note: Color depth 15 broke ``WP7 for Unix'' on my machine.

Cheers
--

  --- LINUX, live free or die ---

1. Switching colour depth when using xdm

I have just set up xdm and xlogin and it works fine.

My problem is that how can I change colour depth of X window? When I was
using
startx command I can give -bpp 16 if I want higher colour depth but now
I don't know
how. We have a program which only runs on bit colour then again netscape
look
much nicer with colour depth 16. I would be great to restart the X
window with different
colour depth.

Thanks in advance.

Yon Han Chong                     |
Flow Control and Prediction Group | Tel: + 44 1234 750 111 ext. 5420

Cranfield University              | Fax: + 44 1234 752 149
United Kingdom                    | Mobile: + 44 958 381 395

2. Restricting Login' -->dialup<--?

3. XDM Color Depth Configuration

4. Solaris 9 - weird error on "cd"

5. RH5.2, xdm, setting color depth

6. Meta key and ksh

7. Change color depth for xdm/KDE on Solaris??

8. newbie looking for newsgroup

9. selectin colour depth with xdm login

10. xdm, kdm colour depth Banshee??

11. Using different XDM/X colour depths