3 Qs - lock file, sound, mounting CD-ROM

3 Qs - lock file, sound, mounting CD-ROM

Post by Sagen77 » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I'm a newbie to Linux and am quickly learning, but I have a few
questions.  I have just set up Red Hat 6.1 Deluxe and am having the
following three problems and  can't find solutions in any documentation:

1.  PPP is working, but I can't open Netscape due to a "lock file".
Where is this lock file and should I delete it?  What do I need to do
to use Netscape?

2.  How do I set up and configure my sound?  I have no sound right now
and can't figure out how to get Linux to fetect my sound card.  I have
a Soundblaster 16, by the way.

3.  How do I mount my CD-ROM drive?  My floppy seems to mount
automatically, but everytime I try to mound my CD-ROM I get the message
"Invalid media type" - regardless of what CD is in the drive.

I would greatly appreciate any replies!

Post by Anton Degue » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> I'm a newbie to Linux and am quickly learning, but I have a few
> questions.  I have just set up Red Hat 6.1 Deluxe and am having the
> following three problems and  can't find solutions in any documentation:

> 1.  PPP is working, but I can't open Netscape due to a "lock file".
> Where is this lock file and should I delete it?  What do I need to do
> to use Netscape?

~/.netscape/lock

This file is normaly destroyed when you quit netscape but remains is
netscape crashes.

Anton

3 Qs - lock file, sound, mounting CD-ROM

Post by ne.. » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm a newbie to Linux and am quickly learning, but I have a few
>questions.  I have just set up Red Hat 6.1 Deluxe and am having the
>following three problems and  can't find solutions in any documentation:

>1.  PPP is working, but I can't open Netscape due to a "lock file".
>Where is this lock file and should I delete it?  What do I need to do
>to use Netscape?

rm -f ~/.netscape/lock; netscape &

Quote:

>2.  How do I set up and configure my sound?  I have no sound right now
>and can't figure out how to get Linux to fetect my sound card.  I have
>a Soundblaster 16, by the way.

RH6.1 should have the Sound Config utility sndconfig. Use this.

Quote:

>3.  How do I mount my CD-ROM drive?  My floppy seems to mount
>automatically, but everytime I try to mound my CD-ROM I get the message
>"Invalid media type" - regardless of what CD is in the drive.

Music cds do not need to be mounted to be played.
For data cds, create a mount point (/mnt/cdrom) and
use mnt -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom.

The alternative (I use this) is to edit your /etc/fstab and
add the line:

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 noauto,user,umask=0,ro  0 0

then use mnt /mnt/cdrom to mount the cd. The use of /dev/cdrom
assumes a link from the actual cd device eg. /dev/hdc to
/dev/cdrom. You may of course have a different device as your
cdrom.....

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
Prunes give you a run for your money.

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. sendmail "proxy" gateway

3. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

4. resolution (slakware on dell laptop)

5. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

6. Creating a Windoz SHARE <-- How to?

7. Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM/Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 Mount problems

8. Intel 8051 Cross compiler for Linux?

9. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

10. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

11. DEC Starion 900i RedHat 2.1 Install Locks WHen Loading Files From CD-ROM

12. mounting CD-ROM with Large File and MSDOS FS

13. Files converted to Lower Case on mounted CD-ROM