font problem in X

Post by Ming Hs » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:07:08

Hi, I am having problems adding fonts in X.  I was trying to install an
application and found that xset fp+ <path name> doesn't work.

So I tried one of the fonts that's actually installed, and it wouldn't work
either.  I am running RH 7.2 and X seems to work fine otherwise.

The error is

xset:  bad font path element (#36), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

Can someone tell me what is causing this?  Thanks.

M.

font problem in X

Post by gavro » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 22:44:18

> Hi, I am having problems adding fonts in X.  I was trying to install an
> application and found that xset fp+ <path name> doesn't work.

> So I tried one of the fonts that's actually installed, and it wouldn't work
> either.  I am running RH 7.2 and X seems to work fine otherwise.

> The error is

> xset:  bad font path element (#36), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax

> Can someone tell me what is causing this?  Thanks.

> M.

The XFree86 Font De-uglification Howto has all the info you should need
regarding adding fonts to X86.  As to why the application that you are
trying to install does not even see fonts that are already installed you
may want to ask in their mailing list.. or newsgroup if they have one.

1. FONTS FONTS AND MORE FONTS

Hi all,

I have Solaris 2.5.1 installed on a Sparc 20 and and running CDE. I am
rather disappointed with the fonts that are installed. Is there a way
to make more fonts available to the system?

Also, where can I get aforementioned "more fonts"?

TIA.

--
Divya Sundaram --------------------------------------CONDITUR IN PETRA
".. More is demanded to produce one wise man today than seven formerly,

2. Linux, DOS/WIN & WARP on one machine....

3. FONTS FONTS FONTS... LOTS OF THEM!!!!!!!

4. Top 10 posters comp.unix.questions

5. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

6. ftp and jar-files (class files)

7. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

8. Need help with 'sed' in C shell scripts

9. font problem with font deuglification

10. problem seeing newly installed TTF fonts in KDE Look&Feel->Fonts

11. Netscape plug-ins problem

12. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

13. Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype