Printing .ps files

Post by Phillip Adam » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Please can anybody help. I am trying to print postscript documents to a
non postscript printer without much joy. I have tried APS filter and
MagicFilter but cannot manage to get the required result. I have also
tried gs but I always seem to get non-descriptive errors. I am using a
canon bj200 printer (which gs supports ?). Please can somebody point me
in the right direction or supply a filter I can pass to my /etc/printcap
file tp print postscript on my printer. I am running Slackware Linux
vers 2.

Any help is much appreciated.
--
Phillip Adams

Post by Roland Latou » Sun, 23 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Please can anybody help. I am trying to print postscript documents to a
> non postscript printer without much joy. I have tried APS filter and
> MagicFilter but cannot manage to get the required result. I have also
> tried gs but I always seem to get non-descriptive errors. I am using a
> canon bj200 printer (which gs supports ?). Please can somebody point me
> in the right direction or supply a filter I can pass to my /etc/printcap
> file tp print postscript on my printer. I am running Slackware Linux
> vers 2.

http://mirror.clipper.net/LDP/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/                    GhostScript home page
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/printer.html       Printer compatibility

'gs -h|grep bj200' shows if support is built into your copy of gs.

--
  Roland Latour  Slackware3.4 & PPP     http://home.cdsnet.net/~rolandl
Mind Like A Steel Trap     -Rusty And Illegal In 37 States

Printing .ps files

Post by Vern Hox » Mon, 24 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Please can anybody help. I am trying to print postscript documents to a
>non postscript printer without much joy. I have tried APS filter and
>MagicFilter but cannot manage to get the required result. I have also
>tried gs but I always seem to get non-descriptive errors. I am using a
>canon bj200 printer (which gs supports ?). Please can somebody point me
>in the right direction or supply a filter I can pass to my /etc/printcap
>file tp print postscript on my printer. I am running Slackware Linux
>vers 2.

'Magicfilter' requires a /etc/printcap entry such as:

#for postscript
ps
 :if=/usr/local/bin/bj200-filter
 :lp=/dev/lp1
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :mx%0
 :sh
lp
 :lp=/dev/lp1
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
 :mx%0
 :sh

Then the command:

lpr -Pps <filename>

will get your bj200 singing.

You may also have to read how to set up lpd and friends.  That info is
in the 'lpd' distribution.

'Magicfiler' requires 'gs' (ghostscript) installed with the bj200
driver compiled in.

vern
--

3975 W. 29th Ave.                                        uucp: 303-455-2670
Denver, Colo., 80212                                    voice: 303-477-1780