Vim

Post by jeremyly.. » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

When I type something in Insert mode and then press escape, and then go
into insert mode again, backspace no longer deletes this text which I
have typed - only new text.

fnx fr 'ny hlp

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Vim

Post by Tracy William » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

That is the way vi(m) works.  Switch to command mode and 'l' over to the
older text, then hit 'x' to delete the character.  If you want/need to be
proficient with vi, then I suggest buying "Learning the vi Editior" from
O'reilly.  You can buy it at any Barnes and Noble, etc or online at:

http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=1565924266
or
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/vi6/

Tracy

>Hi,

>When I type something in Insert mode and then press escape, and then go
>into insert mode again, backspace no longer deletes this text which I
>have typed - only new text.

>fnx fr 'ny hlp

>-------------------------------------

>-------------------------------------

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

Vim

Post by Robie Bas » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>When I type something in Insert mode and then press escape, and then go
>into insert mode again, backspace no longer deletes this text which I
>have typed - only new text.

It's meant to do that - but add the line 'set backspace=2' in your ~/.vimrc if
you want it to behave the other way.

1. VIM: Is this a bug of "vim" ?

Hi,
please save this file on your linux box and test it with the
command line:
/usr/bin/vim < filename >

The line vi: and some behind it will be interpreted as
vi: command line options, reading the file from the end
vi: end to to the first line. Please test this.
vi: Lets have a party
vi: You are a nice guy testing this,

By the way: vi : this is line, which does not create any trouble

problems reading news. If you are interested in the replys I can
send you a summary by email.
// EOJ
Mit freundlichen Gruessen, Gerhard

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
           Gerhard Bosch
Equipe Dynamique de l' Atmosphere Habitee              0   ____   0
Division Mecanique, Energetique et Environnement        \ / __ \ /
Ecole Central de Nantes - 1, rue de la Noe             --/ (__) \--
44072 Nantes Cedex 03, France                           =\      /=
-------------------------------------                     -|--|-
voice: (33) 40 37 16 00, ext. 26 31    \  O               -|--|-
  FAX: (33) 40 74 74 06  ~~~~~\_________\/ )_________/~~ | |##| |

 http: //ifh-hp6.bau-verm.uni-karlsruhe.de/Bosch/index.html ##

       mz - sidecars - old motorcycles - anything interesting

2. Low Level INet Programming

3. VIM ques: Using mouse for copy & paste in vim

4. why a negative # for CPU utilization?

5. /bin/bash -c 'vim !(CVS)' doesn't work while vim !(CVS) does work

6. Learning Bash

7. a quiestion about vim

8. RTFM - But still can't get SSIs to work

9. VIM on AIX

10. Changing colour scheme in VIM

11. making vim without X windows

12. How send grep -l output to vim?

13. VIM: how to overwrite some text with a buffer