Could not open default font fixed

Post by Sam Kapoo » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:28:50

I have a RedHat7 installation on my laptop that was working fine until
now.
Upon booting up I get the error:
Could not init font path element unit/ :7100, removing from list!
"Fatal Server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

X Connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Now it also seems that my /tmp directory is full.

So, what is the command (I can't find it) to increase space in my /tmp
directory???

Thanks for any help...

-Sam

Post by Andy Furnis » Tue, 17 Apr 2001 08:40:53

> I have a RedHat7 installation on my laptop that was working fine until
> now.
> Upon booting up I get the error:
> Could not init font path element unit/ :7100, removing from list!
> "Fatal Server error: could not open default font 'fixed'

> X Connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

> Now it also seems that my /tmp directory is full.

> So, what is the command (I can't find it) to increase space in my /tmp
> directory???

> Thanks for any help...

> -Sam

Do df to see if any of  your partitions are full - delete the stuff in /tmp.

Andy.

1. XFree86 3.3.3 and 'could not open default font fixed'

Hi all,

I am try to get XFree86 3.3.3 up and going. The XF86_SVGA server is telling
me that the default font 'fixed' is missing.

I have hit the README.Config and it indicates that one of my font paths may
be bad. Well, all my font paths are correct.

I have run mkfontdir on the assorted font folders and all is well. A new
fonts.dir file was created and it reported no errors. The fonts.alias file
lists a 'fixed' font which looks alot like the params for the 6x13.pcf.gz
file. So everything should be in place.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am using a PCI S3 VirgeVX.

Thanx

Tom

PS-- If any of the XFree86 server developers are out there...How about
adding more descriptive error messages in one of the next releases. Making
it easier for users to fix things is the only way Linux is gonna outpace
Windows...

Tom Schlarman

2. menus

3. could not open default font fixed

4. Trident Video-Accelerator CyberBlade-XP

5. Font Problem: could not open default font 'fixed'

6. Dvd Players for linux

7. New: rtl8139 NIC don't work while CONFIG_ACPI=y

8. could not open default font "fixed"

9. could not open default font 'fixed' ??

10. Fatal Server Error: could not open default font 'fixed'

11. Xfree86: could not open default font 'fixed'

12. could not open default font 'fixed'