Can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym

Post by Quido Ever » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Can anyone please help me????
I recently installed X3.1.2D and after that X3.1.2E (to support my
Trident TGUI 9440 AGi). Now, everytime when a strike any key in any
application under X, the application gets killed and there is a message:

Could not resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

I tried to enable XKB (it was disabled) and I get another message:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: can't resolce symbol 'XkbLibraryVersion'
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Can any please help me??????

Quido.

Can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym

Post by Andrea Borg » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996 02:18:10 -0700,

>Could not resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/xkbcomp: can't resolce symbol 'XkbLibraryVersion'
>Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Same happened to me: the fix (assumed you followed the instructions
for the installation of the beta) is to run "ldconfig" as root.

Here is where I found the answer, after discovering that reinstalling
XFree did not produce any result:

-CUT-CUT-CUT-
                      XFREE86 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
                      ----------------------------------
[snip]

  Q.C5- I've installed the latest beta and now some applications die
  as soon as I hit a key. What's wrong?

   This problem is usually accompanied by an error message saying
   that the symbol "XkbLookupKeySym" was unresolved/not found. It
   happens when client programs still use the 6.0 versions of the
   libraries that now have 6.1 versions. Something like this should
   work to resolve it:

    cd /usr/X11R6/lib
    mv libX11.so.6.0 libX11.so.6.0.sav
    mv libXaw.so.6.0 libXaw.so.6.0.sav
    mv libXext.so.6.0 libXext.so.6.0.sav
    mv libXtst.so.6.0 libXtst.so.6.0.sav
    ln -s libX11.so.6.1 libX11.so.6.0
    ln -s libXaw.so.6.1 libXaw.so.6.0
    ln -s libXext.so.6.1 libXext.so.6.0
    ln -s libXtst.so.6.1 libXtst.so.6.0

   The exact commands may vary depending on your OS, but the principle
   is the same: make sure the 6.1 versions of those four libraries
   gets used.

   On Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD, you need to either reboot or run
   "ldconfig".

[snip]
-CUT-CUT-CUT-

--

PGP Public Key on KeyServers ID:  6FB56CDD
Key fingerprint =  51 10 CA A2 6E 40 2D B7  3D 2B 8A 4B 3B 86 99 44

1. can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

I have been using linux for about a year and all was working fine till I
got the above error message whenever trying to run some of my programs,
including the gimp and nedit.  It was also happening with xterm but I
played around with the command till got one that worked, so I am at least
somewhat productive.  Upgrading my X did not work.

Any help will be appreciated....

2. Q: sed ^M does not work...

3. netscape: can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

4. What is "No setup signature found..."

5. Error: xterm can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

6. Dosemu compiling error (parse eror on dpmi)HELP~!!

7. can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

8. Compiling X problems

9. Recovering from "can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'" in XFree3.2

10. can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

11. netscape: can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'

12. Help with "can't resolve symbol 'XkbLookupKeySym'"

13. can't resolve symbol XkbLookupKeySym