RH 7.2 font aliasing problem after upgrading kde and xfree w/RH rpms

RH 7.2 font aliasing problem after upgrading kde and xfree w/RH rpms

Post by Gary Nutbea » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 05:49:25

I very recently upgraded my kde packages to 2.2.2-1 and XFree86 to 4.1.0-15
using Redhat's supplied rpms. Somehow font aliasing was broken. I checked
my environment and QT_XFT is set to 1. Under the KDE control panel "Use
Anti-Aliasing for fonts and icons" is checked. Nothing is aliased though.
I'm confused. Has anyone else had this problem and knows what the fix is?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary.

Post by Rex Diete » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 23:42:06

> I very recently upgraded my kde packages to 2.2.2-1 and XFree86 to
> 4.1.0-15 using Redhat's supplied rpms. Somehow font aliasing was broken. I
> checked my environment and QT_XFT is set to 1. Under the KDE control panel
> "Use Anti-Aliasing for fonts and icons" is checked. Nothing is aliased
> though.

Are you sure that your video card supports the XRENDER extension that is
required for Anti-Aliasing to function?

--

Computer System Administrator   http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/
Mathematics and Statistics

1. problems in upgrading from RH 7.2 to RH 8.0

Hi,
I am facing some very wierd problems after i upgraded from RH 7.2 to RH
8.0..Below is a partial list.
(Some of your  might have seen this, but any solutions that were previously
provided did not work).

1. After upgrading, when i rebooted with run-level 5, the GUI log-in screen
does not appear at all. Instead the machine just hangs at the console login
prompt (which appears before the GUI log-in screen, at least in RH 7.2).
Repetedly pressing the <ENTER> key does not help.
Trying to enter the login name and passwd does not help either for the first
10 or so tries, after which it does succeed. (This behaviour is repeatable).

2. When i try to start kde, it throws a message "kdeinit not able to start"
(or something like it). And KDE fails to start.
I actually found a work around this problem on some earlier posts.
Soln: Rename /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype* to something else.
After doing this, KDE does start, but the icons on the task bar, (for
starting Konsole etc) refuse to execute the respective programs .. (i guess
the paths might have changed, but isn't RH 8.0 upgrade supposed to take care
of that...)/
SO NO KDE TILL NOW.:-((

3. I kill the KDE session and switch to GNOME using the switchdesk command
and start GNOME.
GNOME starts up cleanly. However i found the following problems:
--a. The update agent just hangs out..
--b. When trying to install/remove something using rpm, the program just
hangs and does nothing.

Someone suggested that i do a clean install of RH 8.0.. But I don't want to
do that at least till i get some opinions/solutions.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks
shashank

2. ANOTHER ONE -- CL-DG5428 with XFree86 3.1

3. RH 7.3 KDE3.0.1 RPMs with RH 7.2

4. mounted compiler apps

5. newbie-How to upgrade from RH 7.2 to RH 7.3?

6. What am I doing wrong with 'chat'?

7. Upgrade RH 6.0 to RH 7.2

8. Aztech Sound Card

9. Quotas broken on RH 7.2 upgrade to RH Kernel 2.4.20-13.7

10. upgrade RH 6.1 > RH 7.2 == no kbd, no mouse

11. KDE 3.01 and KOffice 1.2beta RPMs for RH 7.2

12. KDE 3.01 RH 7.2 RPMs?

13. RH 7.2 -- How to upgrade to latest Postgres via rpm?