PEX-FONT Problem ROMAN_M (using Trident 9445 beta driver)

PEX-FONT Problem ROMAN_M (using Trident 9445 beta driver)

Post by Colin Hooke » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I hope I am not being a burk but I am having great trouble resolving a
problem with X from Slackware official CD release 3.0
I have loaded the X series disks selecting generic SVGA server. Since I
have a Trident 9445 video card I am using a beta copy of 3.1.2b server
copied over the one loaded from CD. All the CD font options have been
installed. When I start X all seems ok until I try to load x-applications
eg xfilemanager. This app starts to load then aborts. The error message
on the console reads

PEXExtensionInit: Can't load default PEX font file ROMAN_M

I have checked all the font files and cannot find any reference to ROMAN
font.

Can anyone advise on how to;

Fool the system into thinking ROMAN_M font exists or ...
Get a copy of the correct font file or ...
Instruct PEX? to use an alternative font file

Thanks for any help you can offer;

Cheers.

1. xmklinux won't start - complains about PEX Roman_M font

I just installed the DR2 release of mklinux on a Powermac 6100/60 with AV
video.  Everything went flawlessly except that I cannot run X.  I
get the following message when attempting "startx" or even just "X":

   PEXExtension Init: couldn't open default PEX font file Roman_M
   Fatal Server Error
   Couldn't allocate client map in XkbInitDevice
   xinit: Unknown error (error 2): unexpected signal 13

There is, in /usr/X11R6.1/lib/X11/fonts/PEX two files -- one is
named "Roman_M.phont" and the other has a similar extension.  Is this
right?

What else could be happening?  Any advise from other Macintosh AV users out
there?  Is there source for an X server that doesn't depend on X fonts
available for mklinux?

Thanks in advance.

  NCAR/ACD Unix systems Administration

2. giving users permission to execute shell scripts

3. Using NON_MONO font with PEX-SI ???

4. online POSIX docs?

5. Problems using fonts.alias to replace Type1 fonts with Truetype

6. Hylafax "localhost" unknown host?

7. how do I find PEX font files?

8. Basic Sysadmin Question

9. Can't start openwin, can't find PEX font?

10. XF86 prob with PEX font file

11. Help! Error opening PEX default font at startx

12. X Free 3.1 doesn't read my PEX fonts

13. XFree86 with trident driver (trident.o) - X cursor