DRI very slow with Voodoo3 3000

Post by k » Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:22:28

Hello there,

I've installed RedHat 7.1 on my computer and XFree86 4.0.3. Everything
looks correct for X11, I've been to the DRI site and read all the help.
glxinfo and gears report all would be fine, but anything GL is really
slow... for example the plugins for xmms, they're so slow I'd better not
use them since they will cause my computer to hang eventually... I get
let's say about 4 fps?? My computer is a dual PII-Xeon (1Mb cache) with
512Mb RAM and a complete SCSI subsystem, so I guess that's not to slow
for DRI is it??? glxinfo reports that Mesa 3.4 DRI is being used and the
symlink for libGL.so.1 is also correct. Anybody know what the problem
might be???

Dennis :-)

--

  Linux kernel 2.4.5smp
      ICQ#:  77429069

Post by Andy Furnis » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:52:47

> Hello there,

> I've installed RedHat 7.1 on my computer and XFree86 4.0.3. Everything
> looks correct for X11, I've been to the DRI site and read all the help.
> glxinfo and gears report all would be fine, but anything GL is really
> slow... for example the plugins for xmms, they're so slow I'd better not
> use them since they will cause my computer to hang eventually... I get
> let's say about 4 fps?? My computer is a dual PII-Xeon (1Mb cache) with
> 512Mb RAM and a complete SCSI subsystem, so I guess that's not to slow
> for DRI is it??? glxinfo reports that Mesa 3.4 DRI is being used and the
> symlink for libGL.so.1 is also correct. Anybody know what the problem
> might be???

> Dennis :-)

glxinfo should say something like

OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Voodoo3 20010104
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4

If your renderer string doesn't say DRI then you may need to sort your
libGL.so link - You do not need any seperate mesa packages to use DRI.

Andy.

Post by k » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:20:07

> > Hello there,

> > I've installed RedHat 7.1 on my computer and XFree86 4.0.3. Everything
> > looks correct for X11, I've been to the DRI site and read all the help.
> > glxinfo and gears report all would be fine, but anything GL is really
> > slow... for example the plugins for xmms, they're so slow I'd better not
> > use them since they will cause my computer to hang eventually... I get
> > let's say about 4 fps?? My computer is a dual PII-Xeon (1Mb cache) with
> > 512Mb RAM and a complete SCSI subsystem, so I guess that's not to slow
> > for DRI is it??? glxinfo reports that Mesa 3.4 DRI is being used and the
> > symlink for libGL.so.1 is also correct. Anybody know what the problem
> > might be???

> > Dennis :-)

> glxinfo should say something like

> OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Voodoo3 20010104
> OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4

> If your renderer string doesn't say DRI then you may need to sort your
> libGL.so link - You do not need any seperate mesa packages to use DRI.

> Andy.

It says all that, and /usr/bin/gears -info give me 85fps!!! But still
the XMMS plugins are really slow... even the analyser in scope mode in
the XMMS window is very slow, but the analyser in normal mode (vertical
bars) isn't...

I don't get it anymore :-(

Dennis
--