HELP! Screen lockup when moving or closing window

HELP! Screen lockup when moving or closing window

Post by David War » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

*,

I've got Slackware Linux on a NEC 9522, which has 2 megs of dram for
video.  The video is on the motherboard (not on a separate card), with
an Alliance ProMotion 6422 chipset.

My problem:
I can start X up fine, but when I open and then try to just move or
close even a single telnet window the screen locks up and I can't even
control-alt-backspace out of X.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas/workarounds?

Thanx,
David

1. X-Window security: How to disallow window manipulation (closing, resizing, moving)

I've been asked to think about how to make a computer (running Linux or NT; the app runs
on both) airtight as a terminal in an exhibition area, where it is open to the public but
where it must not be possible to access anything but the application that is open on the
screen, or to close it, or do anything besides using that app. This is probably not very
difficult to do, seeing that the keyboard would be locked away anyway. In other words, all
you need to do is disable all the window controls that are accessible to the mouse (how do
you do that?) and then make sure that there is no 'Quit' function available within the
app, or if that's not possible, restart the app whenever it's being closed (run it from
inittab with respawn??) from within.

Does anyone have pointers to Howtos or FAQs or the like about this kind of thing?

Thanks, Frank

2. Kde3 change language

3. (stupid question on) CDE mouse: moving full-screen window from MID-screen?

4. Install gcc -Arithmetic Exception (core dumped)!!!

5. Left Edge of a window remains on screen after window closes

6. timing of functions

7. X-windows Screen lockups..

8. MS Mail client for Linux?????

9. Fits with X-windows (gray screen only w/ system lockup

10. Move & Expand windows across Multiple screens on SUN

11. X11/Cirrus:screen sparkels when windows are moved

12. Can't Move To Bottom Of Screen In X Windows

13. screen flickers when cursor moves in/out of window