Teensy, tiny, unreadable fonts on netscape comm 4.04

Teensy, tiny, unreadable fonts on netscape comm 4.04

Post by Sean M Hollingwort » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quite often - far too often - the netscape displays webpages with the
font so small that I can barely read what is on the page.  If I crank up
netscape's font settings to 18 or 24 I can sometimes read them, but then
eventually it starts displaying these miniscule fonts.  Sometimes the
size of the font varies from visit to visit on the same page --
seperated by only a few minutes.  Does anyone have any idea what causes
this and how I can stop it?

Post by root » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Quite often - far too often - the netscape displays webpages with the
> font so small that I can barely read what is on the page.  If I crank up
> netscape's font settings to 18 or 24 I can sometimes read them, but then
> eventually it starts displaying these miniscule fonts.  Sometimes the
> size of the font varies from visit to visit on the same page --
> seperated by only a few minutes.  Does anyone have any idea what causes
> this and how I can stop it?

I just installed Netscape today and have noticed the same thing I'm
looking into it right now,
Let me know if you come up with the solution before I do, and likewise
I'll do the same...Thanks

Post by Adam Zygmun » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Quite often - far too often - the netscape displays webpages with the
> font so small that I can barely read what is on the page.  If I crank up
> netscape's font settings to 18 or 24 I can sometimes read them, but then
> eventually it starts displaying these miniscule fonts.  Sometimes the
> size of the font varies from visit to visit on the same page --
> seperated by only a few minutes.  Does anyone have any idea what causes
> this and how I can stop it?

I've also noticed this, and it happened in version 3 as well. The main
culprit seemes to be pages that override the default viewing font,
particularly those that specify helvetica (i.e. the page includes
something like a <FONT FACE="helvetica"> tag somewhere). Unfortunately,
I haven't heard of any sort of workaround, so I can't be of too much
help right now.

Adam Z.
http://mustec.bgsu.edu/~azygmun/

Teensy, tiny, unreadable fonts on netscape comm 4.04

Post by Brion Vibbe » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Quite often - far too often - the netscape displays webpages with the
> font so small that I can barely read what is on the page.  If I crank up
> netscape's font settings to 18 or 24 I can sometimes read them, but then
> eventually it starts displaying these miniscule fonts.  Sometimes the
> size of the font varies from visit to visit on the same page --
> seperated by only a few minutes.  Does anyone have any idea what causes
> this and how I can stop it?

I find that pages in Netscape are generally much more readable if you
install 100 dpi fonts instead of the default 75 dpi fonts.

Teensy, tiny, unreadable fonts on netscape comm 4.04

Post by Nandakumar Santhana » Sun, 18 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You can override these document specified fonts by going:
        Edit->Preferences->Appearance->Fonts
and then choosing:
        "Use my default fonts, overriding document-specified fonts"
in Netscape Communicator 4.0.x.

This works pretty well since it prevents netscape from guessing wrong about
what is the best substitute for 'Arial', e.g., and choosing a painfully small
font as a result.

- nanda

> > Quite often - far too often - the netscape displays webpages with the
> > font so small that I can barely read what is on the page.  If I crank up
> > netscape's font settings to 18 or 24 I can sometimes read them, but then
> > eventually it starts displaying these miniscule fonts.  Sometimes the
> > size of the font varies from visit to visit on the same page --
> > seperated by only a few minutes.  Does anyone have any idea what causes
> > this and how I can stop it?

> I've also noticed this, and it happened in version 3 as well. The main
> culprit seemes to be pages that override the default viewing font,
> particularly those that specify helvetica (i.e. the page includes
> something like a <FONT FACE="helvetica"> tag somewhere). Unfortunately,
> I haven't heard of any sort of workaround, so I can't be of too much
> help right now.

> Adam Z.
> http://mustec.bgsu.edu/~azygmun/

1. Font problems w/Netscape Comm 4.04 on Solaris 2.6

Does anyone know of any libraries/fixes for Netscape  Communicator 4.04
that  will allow it to properly
display fonts/HTML tables/whathaveyou whilst being invokd under Solaris
2.6?

Currently, all mail headers in Messenger show up as hyper-text lines
rather than in letters, AND
on certain sites with table formats, the tables are not displayed. The
version I am using is Standard
Edition and is for Solaris 2.5.1;unfortunately, there are no 2.6
versions available.

Post or email suggestions/hints. Thanks in advance

p.e. virgo

--
virgo 'U.S.' bondz
Paul Virgo,RMS

2. Can't Delete Partitions

3. Linux SuSE 5.0 (kernel 2.0.30) w/ Netscape Comm. 4.04 problem....

4. Help with winmodem

5. Choppy audio Netscape Comm 4.04

6. corel linux

7. fonts in Netscape 4.04 / Solaris 2.7

8. Why Linux?

9. Distorted fonts after starting Netscape 4.04

10. Netscape 4.04 and Invisible Fonts!

11. Distorted fonts after starting Netscape 4.04

12. Netscape 4.04 and text field font problems

13. Red Hat 5.0 & Netscape 4.04: Netscape out of memory error?