Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Somphol Man » Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I plan to buy EDO ram soon.

Can you recommend:

 - how to look 60ns or 70ns
 - manufac. name
 - 2nd hand or not
 - manufac. date
 - MB
 - etc.

THANK YOU so much.

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Kevin » Mon, 24 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I plan to buy EDO ram soon.

>Can you recommend:

> - how to look 60ns or 70ns

At the end of the numbers on the individual little chip will be a
J-n, or J-nn (n=a number) this is the speed of the SIMM. ( I hope this
is what you mean)

Quote:> - manufac. name

Some are a bit cryptic. There is a Semiconductor resource page at
http://www.mindspring.com/~the1/semi.html, you should be able to find
any info you need about manufacturer symbols

Quote:> - 2nd hand or not

That's almost impossible. The only way to be sure is to deal with a
reputable company. I recently (last week) ordered 2 SIMMs straight
from Micron (from their new retail outlet "Crucial Technology"). I
would strongly recommend you do the same if you want to be SURE to get
what you pay for.

Quote:> - manufac. date

I don't know about the manufacture date, but my Microns came with a
little sticker with what I assume is the "date of testing", and it is
only 2 weeks prior to my receiving them. I would venture to guess that
these SIMMs came off the line this year.

Kev

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Troy Sorza » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I plan to buy EDO ram soon.
>Can you recommend:

I found the best price as of 3/24/97 to be at Comp USA they have a
flyer with 8x32 (ie 32meg) 60ns EDO 72pin sims for $129.  The sale is
untill April 4th.

Troy
-----------------------------
Councelor Troy [TTS net]

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Fred Chatea » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

------=_NextPart_000_01BC39E1.E2AB4030

> >I plan to buy EDO ram soon.
> >Can you recommend:
> > - 2nd hand or not
> > - manufac. date

Probably the best indicator of whether RAM modules are second hand is the
date code. It's usually in the form <year><week> although sometimes
reversed. (Example: 9724 indicates the twenty fourth week of 1997.)

I use to think brand names didn't matter, as long as the manufacturer was
well-known, but having recently had mysterious and subtle problems running
a Tomcat II under Windows NT, it was really handy to be able to contact
Micron for verification of their part number specifications, thus
eliminating the DRAM module as suspect.

--
Regards,

Fred Chateau

------=_NextPart_000_01BC39E1.E2AB4030

color=3D"#202020">&gt; &gt;I plan to buy EDO ram soon.<br><font =
color=3D"#000080"><br><font color=3D"#202020">&gt; &gt;Can you =
color=3D"#000080">Probably the best indicator of whether RAM modules are =
second hand is the date code. It's usually in the form <font =
sometimes reversed. <i>(Example: 97<font size=3D2>24 indicates the =
brand names didn't matter, as long as the <font =
size=3D2>manufacturer<font size=3D2> was well-known, but having recently =

Post by Bob » Thu, 27 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> >I plan to buy EDO ram soon.

> >Can you recommend:

> I found the best price as of 3/24/97 to be at Comp USA they have a
> flyer with 8x32 (ie 32meg) 60ns EDO 72pin sims for $129.  The sale is
> untill April 4th.

> Troy
> -----------------------------
> Councelor Troy [TTS net]

Thats a good price I bought 2 32Mb Micron simms from Investpacific or
something like that for $284.00 delivered.
But they had gone up in price since that about $10-20/simm.

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by #10 » Sat, 29 Mar 1997 04:00:00

"misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.motherboards" on the subject "Re: Need
Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram" :

-->
-->I found the best price as of 3/24/97 to be at Comp USA they have a
-->flyer with 8x32 (ie 32meg) 60ns EDO 72pin sims for $129.  The sale is
-->untill April 4th.
-->
-->
-->
-->Troy
-->-----------------------------
-->Councelor Troy [TTS net]
-->

Such bunk I thought.  Then I called CompUSA here in Atlanta, and indeed
this is an accurate price!  And they have some in stock.  Never heard of
32 MB EDO 60 ns at US$129.95 per stick--an unbelievable price on PNY
(the most likely brand from CompUSA)  Great tip, thanks!  TS

--"Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistiguishable from malice"
--"Truly, wealth, which men spend all their lives in acquiring, is a
--valueless thing at the last."  Haggard
--"This...is...from......Matilda...."  Leon
--"There are no lies in chess"

--...I get the uneasy feeling that Bill Gates now controls the horizontal and the vertical...
   Craig Sauls via n.g.

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by #10 » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

"misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.motherboards" on the subject "Re: Need
Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram" :

-->
-->I found the best price as of 3/24/97 to be at Comp USA they have a
-->flyer with 8x32 (ie 32meg) 60ns EDO 72pin sims for $129.  The sale is
-->untill April 4th.
-->
-->
-->
-->Troy

I went and bought 2 sticks from CompUSA and installed them, but since then
I have had some strange behavior:  I had a program "disappear" suddenly,
right in the middle of using it, and it is normally very stable....  Then,
in that very same session, I had a dire warning from W'95 that I should
shut down immediately due to "Registry Corruption" so it could
"reinitialize" the registry.  Never saw that one before, either....  Close
examination of the sticks before installing showed signs that they had been
inserted before:  the pins had light marks due presumably to prior
insertion, but wouldn't that be the case of memory tested during/after
manufacture?  Also, the memory was packaged in plain plastic bags heat
sealed shut rather than in antistatic bags as it should have been.

  I may be going back to CompUSA to exchange this memory.  I think the
problems I had are memory problems and this happening on the first session
since the new install is very much a sign of attributablity.

Try at own risk, eh?  TS

Post by Wayne C. Leak » Mon, 31 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> "misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.motherboards" on the subject "Re: Need
> Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram" :

> I went and bought 2 sticks from CompUSA and installed them, but since then
> I have had some strange behavior:  I had a program "disappear" suddenly,
> right in the middle of using it, and it is normally very stable....  Then,
> in that very same session, I had a dire warning from W'95 that I should
> shut down immediately due to "Registry Corruption" so it could
> "reinitialize" the registry.  Never saw that one before, either....  Close
> examination of the sticks before installing showed signs that they had been
> inserted before:  the pins had light marks due presumably to prior
> insertion, but wouldn't that be the case of memory tested during/after
> manufacture?  Also, the memory was packaged in plain plastic bags heat
> sealed shut rather than in antistatic bags as it should have been.

>   I may be going back to CompUSA to exchange this memory.  I think the
> problems I had are memory problems and this happening on the first session
> since the new install is very much a sign of attributablity.

 Well, unless the people at the CompUSA store where you live are
different than the ones here, most of them are Twits. Aside from that,
they are very good about exchanges and refunds. At the store here, they
normally test any returned memory. course, the memory I returned wasn't
returened as being defective. Merely told em it wasn't what my system
needed.
 Yes, there would be some signs of having been inserted before, unless
they had been cleaned after testing. They should NOT have been in plain
plastic though. I've always gotten mine in anti-static bags/pouches, and
I put them in the same when/if I ship any out. Same with motherboards
and other such components.
 May be possible you have an ignorant person working in the store where
you are.
 The persons working in the upgrade section here  are at least smart
enough to savvy that kind of thing...
 Good luck. I'd exchange em, but see that the replacements are
anit-static packaged.

 Wayne AKA Blackie!

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by #10 » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997 15:18:36 -0500 ""Wayne C. Leake"

[...]

Returned the memory.  Exchanged for their "new" stock.  Still having some
wierd stuff happen but not as certain it's a memory problem.  In one game I
play, subspace, the screen frequently flashes as though it had crashed or
dropped the server, but then returns to normal.  This is new, but so it the
prog. version so it's harder to pin down without some sort of empiracal
test.  The new memory was also in plain plastic.  I reemed the manager out,
a little, and asked very specific questions like is this mem known to be
bad, is it used, why so cheap, is this mem your'e giving me now *brand
new*, etc.  Hard to tell.  The store manager claimed all their memory was
now shipped in plain plastic to them from the manufacturer, (IMHO from
their central dist. location).  I begin to think there is some truth to the
statement that I have been reading that the cache limit on pentium/intel
chipset boards/win'95 can only cache the first 64 MB of ram:  repeat
operations are frequently slightly slower now that I'm up to 96 MB from 64
(512K pb cache.)

Tip of the day:  stay away from "HiVal" products.  Poor documentation,
mediocre performance, incompatible with win 3.1x, unlike claims on the box,
and slow 12x pioneer cdrom drive.  The cd would not work when connected to
the ide port on the included sound card, it just output gibberish, even
with the undocumented jumper set to enable ide and the onboard ide
controllers disabled.  Also poor performance of the plunk and prey feature
of the sound card in  w'95....  All around a poor choice except for price,
but was it worth even that?  Not for the trouble I had to go to!!
 (12x multimedia kit: cd, sound card, very poor powered-speakers, and lousy
compton's encyclopoedia<must be a trial version>; on the plus side, a full
version of Descent II, worth about $40 US, and the lamest collection of
shareware games I have ever seen.  Half don't even work!  <Descent doesn't
appear to have networking features, however>). $200 us.  TS

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Cornel Buckle » Sat, 05 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> [...]

> mediocre performance, incompatible with win 3.1x, unlike claims on the box,
> and slow 12x pioneer cdrom drive.  The cd would not work when connected to
> the ide port on the included sound card, it just output gibberish, even
> with the undocumented jumper set to enable ide and the onboard ide
> controllers disabled.  Also poor performance of the plunk and prey feature
> of the sound card in  w'95....  All around a poor choice except for price,
> but was it worth even that?  Not for the trouble I had to go to!!
>  (12x multimedia kit: cd, sound card, very poor powered-speakers, and lousy
> compton's encyclopoedia<must be a trial version>; on the plus side, a full
> version of Descent II, worth about $40 US, and the lamest collection of
> shareware games I have ever seen.  Half don't even work!  <Descent doesn't
> appear to have networking features, however>). $200 us.  TS

One thing you need to make sure of is, that they indeed sold you EDO
RAM's and that you did not get non-EDO instead.  Pull out your cache card
and see if the problem goes away.  If it does you probably have non-EDO
ram.  Also boot up and press ctrl+S to freeze the screen when you see the
BIOS setup grid table come on the screen.  Look where it says "EDO memory
in slot(S)".  If it says none, you got non-EDO memory.  If it shows a
number then you indeed have EDO memory card installed.  You must have EDO
memory installed with your cache card installed when running win95 with a
Pentium compatible system, or win95 will give you all sort of problems
including the dreaded blue error screen.

Cornel.

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Terry Kenned » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> [...] You must have EDO
> memory installed with your cache card installed when running win95 with a
> Pentium compatible system, or win95 will give you all sort of problems
> including the dreaded blue error screen.

  This is flat out wrong. There's no restriction on EDO vs. FPM on a Tomcat
with Windows 95 or anything else. There's a lot of bogus info in this news-
group, but this one takes the cake. Really, I don't mean to pick on you but
this post just made me decide to say something...

  Here's some assorted factual memory info for Tomcats (I, II, or III):

  o If you have a Tomcat I or II and want to cache more than 64MB, you need
    to install a "tag RAM" chip in the socket provided and change some jumpers
    on the motherboard.

  o On the Tomcat I, II, or III, to enable caching over 64MB you have to go
    into the BIOS setup menu and change the "cacheable memory size" from "64MB"
    to "512MB".

  o Always use good quality SIMMs, preferably from a reputable vendor in sealed
    vendor packaging (I happen to use Kingston, but that's just my personal
    preference).

  o Don't use gold lead SIMMs on Tomcats. You can damage the sockets.

  o Be gentle installing SIMMs. You can damage the sockets. At the same time,
    make sure the SIMMs are fully seated.

  o If you have unexplained crashes when using EDO memory (which almost never
    has parity), try using FPM ("regular" or "non-EDO") memory with parity.
    These are marked as "36-bit" instead of "32-bit" memory SIMMs.

  o Almost all memory is 5V. Unless your SIMMs or their packaging *clearly*
    state "3.3V", leave the Tomcat's memory voltage jumpers at 5V.

  o See if the problem happens with the memory timings set to the most con-
    servative values (70ns, etc.). If the problem goes away, turn the faster
    settings back on one at a time so you know which one causes the problem.

  o If you have a Tomcat with a 3.x BIOS (not 2.x!) and have memory problems
    with 4 or more SIMMs, if you've exhausted all other possible causes (by
    replacing the SIMMs, changing the memory timings, etc.) you might try
    the 4.0e BIOS upgrade. Remember, if you have a problem and the upgrade
    fails, you will likely end up with a non-working motherboard and will have
    to *buy* a new BIOS chip.

        Terry Kennedy             Operations Manager, Academic Computing

        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by #10 » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:59:22 -0500 "Cornel Buckley

about: "Re: Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram" :

[...]

Thanks, good tip.  I did indeed observe the bios screen at boot up, and
with both the bad memory and the replacement it was reported as "EDO" in
bank 1 or bank 0 (depending on which it was installed in.)  When I had used
the two new 32 mb chips alone, I had scary moment when it reported bank 0
edo, bank 1--0.  Then I realized that it was considering each pair as one
bank, rather each stick, and etc.  When I filled the other two slots, both
banks reported edo.  Whew!  Ciao, TS

Post Script:  I didn't realize that problems could be so severe if fpm was
mixed with edo or used exclusively on the pentium/'95/pbcache combo.  If I
run across this now, I am prepared with one more thing to look for!
--"Bother me tomorrow, today I'll find no sorrow,
--Doot,Doot,Doot, lookin' out my back door"  CCR

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by #10 » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

posted to "alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus" about: "Re: Need Tick&Tip to
buy EDO ram" :
OK.
1st:  sorry I missed that this thing is being crossposted to all these
different groups.  Bad, bad.
2nd:  I am using an Asus p55tp4N mobo, not familiar with tyan products,
cause I don't happen to use any.  When I bought this board, the dealer was
local, and it was an Asus "house".  I don't seem to be missing anything vs.
the comparable Tyan board of the time, the Titan III...it had a good share
of problems, different versions that supposedly fixed the problems, bios's,
updated bios's, mr bios's, etc. But so did/does Asus.  Where I bought, it
was cheaper to go with their preferred brand, a good one, and I 'm only
sorry that the more advanced boards/cpu's were not available at the time,
but isn't that the way with this industry as a whole?
3rd:  On the Asus board I have, the poster is correct in that the bios boot
report screen reports memory is edo, bank by bank.  this board has two
banks, 4 actual slots; use memory of any acceptable kind in pairs for
pentium, (socket 7 so pentium/clones only)
4th:  I have heard horror stories of mixing fpm non parity and edo, but I
couldn't verify more than that I've heard these stories, and here I hear it
again.  Maybe this is specific to non Tyan products?  I couldn't tell you,
but I'm willing to listen to more about it, and as I say, it is something
to consider if a problem cannot be pinned down in any other way....
5th:  I have heard from a lot of other wise reliable sources that many
boards will not cache more than 64 mb with Intel logicchipsets FX, VX, and
maybe more.  Supposedly the HX chipset will cache more, but, as you say,
additional tag ram must be used.   Enabling in bios is a new one on me.
Maybe some Asus boards bios' do this automatically or they too must be set
manually.  Couldn't say.  I don't know if tag ram, to resolve this issue,
can be added to the p55tp4n.  I sure would like to know, and I will be
checking into this.  I read that win'95 loads from the "top down", intended
to mean that until you have used more than the first 32 MB, say, of say,
96MB system memory, data and prog's will not be operated out of cache when
possible....  Functionally, I have noticed a slight, but noticable decrease
in the speed of repeated tasks since I moved up to 96 from 64MB.  For
instance, close M$ WORD 7 and reopen.   It now takes a subjectively
measured 3 to 4 seconds vs. 1 to 2 seconds.  This is subjectively measured.
It is still lightening fast, on my p-133 (WD ac16000).  Try it on a no name
486 DX? and you will see a difference of many orders of magnitude.
6th:  I would love to have diagnosed the actual problem and pinned it down
to the memory more precisely, but I don't have the knowledge and resources
to do this.... I added the two "new" sticks from CompUSA and within 4 boots
I had a corrupted registry in windows '95.  No other changes were made to
system software or hardware.  The computer became inoperable.  W'95 kept
asking me to ok a registry repair/replacement performed by the system, and
reboot.  I did this like 6 times, and each time it either hung or appeared
to work but rebooted to the same problem, and did not allow normal, nay,
any use of the system.  So I removed the memory, put in the two 16MB edo's
I had removed, coming back to 4 x 16 MB edo (as verified by bios) and
rebooted to the same problem.  I am not going to spend my life repeating
this failed process to see if one time it will work.  (Definitionally
psychotic, no?)   So I emergency disk booted to dos, and attrib'd around
the system.dat and user.dat and rewrote them with latest copies I had on
c:\temp\system, easy to type, and lost the many items I have registered
since 2 weeks before.  This included a giant software suite, (200MB
install), and dozens of utilities and configs I have spent good time on.
(I currently have over 2500 exe's on my box, testing software is one of my
gigs.  I really wonder just what occurred.  I saw no sign of it until that
fateful boot.  Norton's April definitions show no virus problems.
7th:  doesn't the Tyan Tomcat have a flash bios?  why not?  Must you
replace it every time you update it?

 "...damn these stone tools, anyway" Larsen

The new memory seems fine.  Be happy.   Ts

-->  This is flat out wrong.
<much snopped>
-->    fails, you will likely end up with a non-working motherboard and
will have
-->    to *buy* a new BIOS chip.
-->
-->  Terry Kennedy             Operations Manager, Academic Computing

-->        +1 201 915 9381 (voice)   +1 201 435-3662 (FAX)

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by nick bowl » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I had exactly the same problem with some Texas 8MB SIMMS which I
fitted to a new system.  It booted from system asembly and loaded up
DOS, but when I tried to run Windows the same error messages came up
on the screen.  Worst of all though when I attempted to verify the
problem was the RAM by installing it into my Tyan Turbo 1 alongside
two 16MB SIMMS it damaged the other other two SIMMS so that none of it
worked afterwards.

I returned the RAM and it was replaced but the supplier was well
offhand and said he hadn't heard of anything like it before. I am glad
to have heard from you, I would advise you not to take shit from the
supplier, most of them do not even hve RAM test rigs in my experience.

Nick
Mighty Mekon Computers, UK

>"misc.forsale.computers.pc-specific.motherboards" on the subject "Re: Need
>Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram" :

>-->
>-->I found the best price as of 3/24/97 to be at Comp USA they have a
>-->flyer with 8x32 (ie 32meg) 60ns EDO 72pin sims for $129.  The sale is
>-->untill April 4th.
>-->
>-->
>-->
>-->Troy

>I went and bought 2 sticks from CompUSA and installed them, but since then
>I have had some strange behavior:  I had a program "disappear" suddenly,
>right in the middle of using it, and it is normally very stable....  Then,
>in that very same session, I had a dire warning from W'95 that I should
>shut down immediately due to "Registry Corruption" so it could
>"reinitialize" the registry.  Never saw that one before, either....  Close
>examination of the sticks before installing showed signs that they had been
>inserted before:  the pins had light marks due presumably to prior
>insertion, but wouldn't that be the case of memory tested during/after
>manufacture?  Also, the memory was packaged in plain plastic bags heat
>sealed shut rather than in antistatic bags as it should have been.

>  I may be going back to CompUSA to exchange this memory.  I think the
>problems I had are memory problems and this happening on the first session
>since the new install is very much a sign of attributablity.

>Try at own risk, eh?  TS
>--"Sufficiently advanced cluelessness is indistiguishable from malice"
>--"Truly, wealth, which men spend all their lives in acquiring, is a
>--valueless thing at the last."  Haggard
>--"This...is...from......Matilda...."  Leon
>--"There are no lies in chess"

>--...I get the uneasy feeling that Bill Gates now controls the horizontal and the vertical...
>   Craig Sauls via n.g.

Need Tick&Tip to buy EDO ram

Post by Jeff Walk » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

FWIW I had some bad SIMMs and got exactly the same symptoms as below -
DOS worked okay but Win95 kept reporting "Registry Errors".  What's
curious is neither the POST nor Himem.sys ever reported bad addresses.
But when I put the SIMM in question into a friend's older 486, right
away Himem reported bad errors all over the place...

My advice is replace the SIMMs.  If you have to, lie to the #$%#$
company and tell them your computer is telling you "bad ram detected"
or somesuch!  ;)

(Btw on the bad simm I had - one of the chips was clearly not soldered
in correctly, it was off-kilter, out of alignment with the rest.  This
simm was actually a replacement for one they sent me that had one of
the chips soldered in BACKWARDS, no joke!  Obviously this batch had
some manufacturing problems...)

--

Home page:  http://www.wco.com/~jwalkup/

1. What difference between EDO DRAM and EDO parity RAM?

  Hi, subject says it all. Could anyone explain difference between
  EDO DRAM and EDO parity RAM?  I need to know about it to decide
  between Gateway 2000 and Dell. Forgive me if this is too ignorant
  a question, but I am not much of a hardware buff...
  Thank you in advance.
--
  _____________
  M. Geena Park

2. Can't boot with linux 1.1.54 but o.k. with 1.0.9

3. Do I need EDO RAM?

4. Kernel NFSD

5. EDO ram & Pentium

6. Does NIS support password max age?

7. Help needed: pipeline burst cache and EDO RAM

8. 2.5.72 synclink_cs.c

9. edo ram & dram together?

10. P150 & EDO + cache : advice needed !

11. Need a tip for tip

12. want to buy 32mB EDO

13. Fast Page vs EDO RAM