Cirrus Logic 754x..

Post by rena.. » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Help!

I am trying to run Linux and X on an Ascentia950N laptop computer with an SVGA
colour screen. The problem is primary that I am unable to get anything other
than the generic VGA 320x200 mode up and running. As I understand it,
this machine is equipped with an CL754x-driven graphics card. I have tried the
CL6440-driver, but the screen looked all messed up (only stripes), and I don't
know how to get further.

Please help.
Renato Bugge

Cirrus Logic 754x..

Post by Casper Boden-Cummin » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Had a similar problem myself. I'm using a Cirrus Logic CLGD7543 on a Hi-Grade Notino
portable. SuperProbe didn't recognise the cardm and I just couldn't get any more than
VGA resolution. Someone suggested I use CLGD5434, which worked. My XF86Config file
includes the following lines:

   Section "Device"
      Chipset     "CLGD5434"
      VideoRam    2048                  # must specify

However, XFree86 does support the 7543 chipset. I think version 3.1.2B contained the
first full support.

Take a look at the very useful X-Notebook mini-HOWTO homepage at
http://www.castle.net/X-notebook/index_linux.html. This details the changes between
releases of XFree86, and carries links to other useful stuff. You may also look at
ftp://bmrc.berkeley.edu/pub/linux/xserver where you'll find an XFree86 SVGA server for
7543.

Casper Boden-Cummins

> Help!

> I am trying to run Linux and X on an Ascentia950N laptop computer with an SVGA
> colour screen. The problem is primary that I am unable to get anything other
> than the generic VGA 320x200 mode up and running. As I understand it,
> this machine is equipped with an CL754x-driven graphics card. I have tried the
> CL6440-driver, but the screen looked all messed up (only stripes), and I don't
> know how to get further.

> Please help.
> Renato Bugge

Cirrus Logic 754x..

Post by Brian Kimbal » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

On a different note, has anyone had any luck with the same card
and Metro-X?

If so, puuulllllleeeeeeaaaaassssseeeee contact me.

        Brian Kimball

Cirrus Logic 754x..

Post by Rajappa Iy » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Had a similar problem myself. I'm using a Cirrus Logic CLGD7543 on a
>Hi-Grade Notino portable. SuperProbe didn't recognise the cardm and I
>just couldn't get any more than VGA resolution. Someone suggested I
>use CLGD5434, which worked. My XF86Config file includes the following
>lines:
>   Section "Device"
>      Chipset     "CLGD5434"
>      VideoRam    2048                      # must specify
>However, XFree86 does support the 7543 chipset. I think version
>3.1.2B contained the first full support.

This is correct. I'm running 3.1.2E right now and X works just fine on
my notebook.
--

        Live hard, die young and leave a good looking corpse.