Printing html--xpr???

Post by JimK Davi » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

How do I print html under XFree86-3.1.1/netscape2.0?  I read hopefully
of xpr formating a window dump to ps, and I have ghostscript, but xpr
did not come with X-.  I looked through the other X311 binaries to no
avail, and though searches have turned up information about xpr, non
have mentioned where to find it.

Clueless in Texas heat.

--

                                          -=[ JimK Davis ]=-

Printing html--xpr???

Post by thomas smit » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> How do I print html under XFree86-3.1.1/netscape2.0?  I read hopefully
> of xpr formating a window dump to ps, and I have ghostscript, but xpr
> did not come with X-.  I looked through the other X311 binaries to no
> avail, and though searches have turned up information about xpr, non
> have mentioned where to find it.

 (maybe I'm missing something here..so if I am, someone please step
in...)
 Can't you just bring up any file in Netscape and do |File| |Print| and
give a printer name..whatever it is on your system... lp , lp1, etc...
  I can print anything from Netscape, even color images...no problem.

-thomas-
--
"Daddy, why will this magnet pick up
that nail but won't pick up your Linux

http://www.prado.com/~trsmith

Printing html--xpr???

Post by K. McElro » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > How do I print html under XFree86-3.1.1/netscape2.0?  I read hopefully
> > of xpr formating a window dump to ps, and I have ghostscript, but xpr
> > did not come with X-.  I looked through the other X311 binaries to n

I have the same trouble.  The print command line is lpr $*  but it
starts printing multiple pages that start %!PS-Adobe-3.0 etc.

I've heard use ghostscript, but how?  I tried the man pages and
I'm just more confused.  If someone could please give an example
of their command line, maybe we can go from there.

Thanks from a Newbie-newbie

Karen

Printing html--xpr???

Post by JimK Davi » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> > > How do I print html under XFree86-3.1.1/netscape2.0?  I read hopefully
> > > of xpr formating a window dump to ps, and I have ghostscript, but xpr
> > > did not come with X-.  I looked through the other X311 binaries to n

> I have the same trouble.  The print command line is lpr $*  but it
> starts printing multiple pages that start %!PS-Adobe-3.0 etc.

Exactly!!

Quote:> I've heard use ghostscript, but how?  I tried the man pages and
> I'm just more confused.  If someone could please give an example
> of their command line, maybe we can go from there.

> Thanks from a Newbie-newbie

> Karen

I've tried gs but w/o success.  Prints ok with pr, cat, groff, etc.  If
you find out send answer.

                                          -=[ JimK Davis ]=-

Printing html--xpr???

Post by Alexis Dimitriad » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> > > How do I print html under XFree86-3.1.1/netscape2.0?  I read hopefully

>> I have the same trouble.  The print command line is lpr $*  but it
>> starts printing multiple pages that start %!PS-Adobe-3.0 etc.

That's what a file sent to a PostScript SHOULD begin with.  Except your
printer is displaying it instead of executing it.

Are you all printing to a printer that ONLY prints PostScript, or one that needs
PostScript switched on?  If the former, then check your lpr setup-- you
probably have a filter installed that dresses up your files, so that
they display instead of executing.  If the latter, then you NEED a filter--
something that will prepend the character sequences that turn on PostScript
mode.

Hope I'm not wide off the mark here...

Alexis

Printing html--xpr???

Post by McElroy » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

snick!

Quote:> PostScript switched on?  If the former, then check your lpr setup-- you
> probably have a filter installed that dresses up your files, so that
> they display instead of executing.  If the latter, then you NEED a filter--
> something that will prepend the character sequences that turn on PostScript
> mode.

> Hope I'm not wide off the mark here...

> Alexis

Alexis,
        You are exactly right.  My printer is an HP855c.  It is not a
postcript printer, so I do need a filter.  It's just finding the correct
one and setting it up is not so easy.  Earlier today I was reading the
Printing HOW-TO (gasp!) and used the filter in there.  I ended up being
able to print *nothing*.  I saved a copy of my printcap so I was able
to get back to my former state.  I guess I'll just have to keep fiddling
around.

Any other suggestions are most welcome!

Karen

--

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

;}                                         *
          When in danger, or in
doubt,                                                *
                    run in circles, scream and shout!                       *
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Printing html--xpr???

Post by JimK Davi » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> >> I have the same trouble.  The print command line is lpr $*  but it
> >> starts printing multiple pages that start %!PS-Adobe-3.0 etc.

> That's what a file sent to a PostScript SHOULD begin with.  Except your
> printer is displaying it instead of executing it.

> Are you all printing to a printer that ONLY prints PostScript, or one    > that needs PostScript switched on?  If the former, then check your lpr   > setup-- you probably have a filter installed that dresses up your files, > so that they display instead of executing.  If the latter, then you NEED > a filter--something that will prepend the character sequences that turn > on PostScript mode.

No problem printing _postscript_ files with ghostscript.  The printcap
file as I understand it identifies the printer and any filters needed--in
my case a filter for the hp to prevent stairstepping.  All the print
commands (pr, gs, cat) work, but trying it with an html file displays the
formating, as we all agree, rather than executing.  It's not a real high
priority at the moment (I've been doing some coding rather than working on
it) but I know I'll want it eventually.  I _could_ switch to dos--with a
minor loss of self respect.

I'm still curious about xpr and why it's not included in the X-
distribution.  Seems like a handy program.  I noticed in searching that
it's not included in RedHat either.

Your input is appreciated.

                                          -=[ JimK Davis ]=-

1. Printing xpr output on IBM Laser

Can anyone suggest the correct printer options to give to lp or
qprt to print the output on an IBM LaserPrinter (4029 I think).

I have used -device ljet as in the man page, but cannot print
the resultant file, which I assume is in HPGL. Even setting the
printer to GL emulation doesn't work as something resets it back
to PPDS.

Ray.

Ray Turner Systems Ltd,                  Compuserve: 100016,160
Leatherhead, Surrey KT22 9NS England.    Cix       : rayt

2. talk session

3. "xpr" for printing "xwd" outputs??

4. suche Ultra Sparc

5. Print color postscript from xpr

6. Kernel -> user mode data tranfer ????

7. Need html print engine

8. Patch to fix s390 cross-compilation in 2.4.18

9. HTML print processor

10. How can I print HTML-docs without browser?

11. How do I print an HTML document?

12. How can I print HTML-docs without browser?

13. insert page break in HTML when browser print