Resolution changing without virtual screens

Resolution changing without virtual screens

Post by Igor Jovanovi » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:56:00

Im using XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 7.3.
So ...
I want to use resolutions 1024x768,800x600 and 640x480.
With xf86cfg I setup those resolutions and screen depth to 24bit.
When X starts it is in 1024x768 and when I use ctrl+alt+plus or
ctrl+alt+minus resolution changes, but screen stays 1024x768 big, and I
must scroll around to click on the icons and on the gnome panel ...
What is the problem.

Post by Paul Lutu » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 02:23:36

> Im using XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 7.3.
> So ...
> I want to use resolutions 1024x768,800x600 and 640x480.
> With xf86cfg I setup those resolutions and screen depth to 24bit.
> When X starts it is in 1024x768 and when I use ctrl+alt+plus or
> ctrl+alt+minus resolution changes, but screen stays 1024x768 big, and I
> must scroll around to click on the icons and on the gnome panel ...
> What is the problem.

What is the problem? You changed resolutions without also restarting X
windows.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

Post by Trevin Beatti » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 03:52:37

> Im using XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 7.3.
> So ...
> I want to use resolutions 1024x768,800x600 and 640x480.
> With xf86cfg I setup those resolutions and screen depth to 24bit.
> When X starts it is in 1024x768 and when I use ctrl+alt+plus or
> ctrl+alt+minus resolution changes, but screen stays 1024x768 big, and I
> must scroll around to click on the icons and on the gnome panel ...
> What is the problem.

X sets up the *virtual* screen size to the largest *physical* resolution
supported by the display, unless you specifically set the "Virtual" option
in the Display section of your X configuration.  Either way, the virtual
screen size never changes, even though you can change the physical
resolution.

There has been some work recently in adding support for changing the
virtual screen size on the fly, but I am not aware of its current status.

Post by Igor Jovanovi » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 05:47:51

>> Im using XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 7.3. So ... I want to use
>> resolutions 1024x768,800x600 and 640x480. With xf86cfg I setup those
>> resolutions and screen depth to 24bit. When X starts it is in 1024x768
>> and when I use ctrl+alt+plus or ctrl+alt+minus resolution changes, but
>> screen stays 1024x768 big, and I must scroll around to click on the
>> icons and on the gnome panel ... What is the problem.

> What is the problem? You changed resolutions without also restarting X
> windows.

Problem is that I dont want to have virtual resolution 1024x768 in lower
phisycal resolutions like 800x600 & 640x480.
I want when I change phisycal resolution to 800x600, the virtual resolution also
to change in 800x600 not to stay 1024x768.
When I restart X nothing changes.X automaticaly starts up in selected
resolution but highest resolution defined stays virtual.

Thanks for understanding. :-)

Post by ne.. » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:51:48

>>> Im using XFree86 4.2.0 that comes with RedHat 7.3. So ... I want to use
>>> resolutions 1024x768,800x600 and 640x480. With xf86cfg I setup those
>>> resolutions and screen depth to 24bit. When X starts it is in 1024x768
>>> and when I use ctrl+alt+plus or ctrl+alt+minus resolution changes, but
>>> screen stays 1024x768 big, and I must scroll around to click on the
>>> icons and on the gnome panel ... What is the problem.

>> What is the problem? You changed resolutions without also restarting X
>> windows.

> Problem is that I dont want to have virtual resolution 1024x768 in lower
> phisycal resolutions like 800x600 & 640x480.
> I want when I change phisycal resolution to 800x600, the virtual resolution also
> to change in 800x600 not to stay 1024x768.
> When I restart X nothing changes.X automaticaly starts up in selected
> resolution but highest resolution defined stays virtual.

http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/randr/ for more info and
please help out with code...

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

1. Changing screen resolution AND virtual resolution?

Hi,
Does someone know if it is (or is not!) possible to change both the
screen resolution AND the virtual screen resolution at the same time
with the Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Plus/Ctrl+Alt+Keypad-Minus keystrokes? I
typically run at 1024x768 but would like to be able to change to 800x600
or 600x480, but without getting the "scrolling" virtual screen as a side
effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Max.

2. Mesg New Option

3. Change Screen Resolution without Reboot?

4. gs, jpeg funny on my ET4000

5. Silly Question - How to change "virtual" screen resolution in X11?

6. Vote to make Linux the best!

7. Screen Resolution and virtual Screens

8. Packet drivers for Linux?

9. Virtual screen size and screen resolution

10. Changing screen resolution on multiple screen system

11. Newbie question: virtual screen resolution

12. resolution and virtual screens

13. Disabling virtual screen resolutions in XF863