export X application over http?

Post by Mark Smi » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:16:08

Hi,

My goal is to access my linux mail client, evolution, from anywhere on
the internet so I can access all my mail using a mature mail client
from anywhere.  My main restriction is that I'm behind a proxy at work
that restricts any access to the outside world.  It allows access to
HTTP and FTP sites, but I'm not sure what else it allows.  So I
essentially want to export my evolution client over http to my work
computer.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  This may be tough
since I'm not allowed to even ssh into my home linux box from my
work...  Ideally I'd like something completely web-based.

Does anyone have any ideas/pointers for me to accomplish this?  Maybe
a VNC web client over HTTP?  The worst case to accomplish this would
be to reinvent the wheel and write my own java-based applet/webstart
client that connects to my linux box at home, which does my mail
retrieval for me....  But I don't want to write a mail client from
scratch.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Post by J.O. Ah » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:28:25

> Hi,

> My goal is to access my linux mail client, evolution, from anywhere on
> the internet so I can access all my mail using a mature mail client
> from anywhere.  My main restriction is that I'm behind a proxy at work
> that restricts any access to the outside world.  It allows access to
> HTTP and FTP sites, but I'm not sure what else it allows.  So I
> essentially want to export my evolution client over http to my work
> computer.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  This may be tough
> since I'm not allowed to even ssh into my home linux box from my
> work...  Ideally I'd like something completely web-based.

> Does anyone have any ideas/pointers for me to accomplish this?  Maybe
> a VNC web client over HTTP?  The worst case to accomplish this would
> be to reinvent the wheel and write my own java-based applet/webstart
> client that connects to my linux box at home, which does my mail
> retrieval for me....  But I don't want to write a mail client from
> scratch.

You would do need to do some port forwards to make things to work, force VNC
at work to connect to port 80 or 21 and then portforward on home machine
incoming signals from 80 to 5801 (or is it 5901).

Another thing you can do is to install squirrlemail (comes with RedHat), this
way you get a webinterface for your mail on your home computer. The only thing
I can think of that you may need to do is to install some plugins, which will
give you more functions.

  //Aho

export X application over http?

Post by I R A Darth Agg » Tue, 13 May 2003 02:44:35

On 11 May 2003 10:16:08 -0700,

+> Does anyone have any ideas/pointers for me to accomplish this?  Maybe
+> a VNC web client over HTTP?

Ummm, dude? VNC already does this. Here's a port scan of a machine
running a couple of VNC servers:

5801/tcp   open        vnc-http-1
5802/tcp   open        vnc-http-2

Just point your browser at http://vnc.host.machine:58XX/, for values
of 01..99, which ever server number you get/set. It'll require java,
tho.

Alternatively, you can set your home sshd to listen to port 80, then
ssh into it thru port 80. I assume your employer's firewall blocks
port 22 stuff?

James
isn't looking good, either.

export X application over http?

Post by David Dorwar » Tue, 13 May 2003 03:44:47

Quote:> Ummm, dude? VNC already does this. Here's a port scan of a machine
> running a couple of VNC servers:

> 5801/tcp   open        vnc-http-1
> 5802/tcp   open        vnc-http-2

VNC runs a webserver to allow users to access the Java Applet client. I
believe the client makes its connection over another port.

I can't see VNC being able to run effectively over http, as http is a
stateless protocol.

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/

Post by Wayne Thro » Tue, 13 May 2003 06:18:04

: My goal is to access my linux mail client, evolution, from anywhere on
: the internet so I can access all my mail using a mature mail client
: from anywhere.  My main restriction is that I'm behind a proxy at work
: that restricts any access to the outside world.  It allows access to
: HTTP and FTP sites, but I'm not sure what else it allows.  So I
: essentially want to export my evolution client over http to my work
: computer.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  This may be tough
: since I'm not allowed to even ssh into my home linux box from my
: work...  Ideally I'd like something completely web-based.

Depending on just exactly what and how your firewall limits access,
probably the simplest thing would be to provide ssh access on
port 80 or 21 instead of port 22.

If that's out for some reason, then you can provide an http server
with "http proxy" enabled for arbitrary connections, then use
this ssh proxy helper command:

    http://www.taiyo.co.jp/~gotoh/ssh/connect.html

in several possible ways; simplest being to use an ssh connection
with (in openssh terms) ssh -o 'ProxyCommand -H homesystem %h %s'.

Another would be to use it with nc (netcat) to forward a local
port via the http server.

And of course, similar to adding ssh on port 80, you could
add a socks5 server and use connect's -S option.

None of these are strictly speaking "completely web-based".
But one possiblity there is to exploit the fact that your
firewall allows http and ftp access, and serve the vnc http java
applet on port 80, and point it to port 21.  That way, you go to
some web page served from 80 as normal, and then the java applet
will connect via 21.

Or another possibility (with more tinkering), have some web page
served via port 80 use vnconnect to have a vnc server connect
outwards to a listening viewer (if the firewall permits connections
back in, which is possible if it allows ftp).

One last possibility, perhaps the best from a security standpoint, is to
serve a web page via some http GET command to port 80 which starts a
(possibly java) ssh client poitned to an ssh server on 21, and starts up
a (possibly java) vnc client over the ssh connection.

So.  Lots of possibilities, none of them quite off-the-shelf,
some involving forwarded ports and vnc, but quite possibly just
using remote X via ssh.  But mostly not necessarily "web based",
unless you want to do significant tinkering.

I'd try just running an ssh server on pot 80 or 21, and using ssh
to log in, and start a session via X proxy.  Simplest and most nearly
off-the-shelf, and ssh with X proxy is fairly widely available, even if
not quite universal or web-based.

Post by Lew Pitche » Wed, 14 May 2003 06:08:13

> Hi,

> My goal is to access my linux mail client, evolution, from anywhere on
> the internet so I can access all my mail using a mature mail client
> from anywhere.  My main restriction is that I'm behind a proxy at work
> that restricts any access to the outside world.  It allows access to
> HTTP and FTP sites, but I'm not sure what else it allows.  So I
> essentially want to export my evolution client over http to my work
> computer.  Is there any way to accomplish this?  This may be tough
> since I'm not allowed to even ssh into my home linux box from my
> work...  Ideally I'd like something completely web-based.

> Does anyone have any ideas/pointers for me to accomplish this?  Maybe
> a VNC web client over HTTP?  The worst case to accomplish this would
> be to reinvent the wheel and write my own java-based applet/webstart
> client that connects to my linux box at home, which does my mail
> retrieval for me....  But I don't want to write a mail client from
> scratch.

http://www.x.org/ and look for the "Low Bandwidth X" documentation.
There's a plugin for Netscape to display LBX-exported windows in a
browser, and XFree86 has an LBX version of the Xserver.

You probably also want to read the "Low Bandwidth X" mini-howto
available at the Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org/).

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. apache http proxy - http/1.0 vs http/1.1

Hello,

I have setup an apache proxy, which seems to work fine. But, I found
out that it doesn't not answer back http/1.1 with a http/1.1 response.
The request comes in as 1.1, but the proxy answer back with 1.0. Is
there some special configuration I need to set in httpd.conf for it
to answer with a 1.1 response?

When I send traffic to the backend machine it will answer with a 1.1
response just fine. We are using the same version of apache for both
the proxy and actual backend server.

Any hints as to what I'm missing? Thanks.

-Dan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Kernel mode driver and shared memory - howto?

3. Limited/no keyboard in exported applications.

4. NY NJ PA CONN Quality Assurance-UNIX

5. Exporting a OpenGL application to Linux

6. combining mmap() and fsync()

7. Exporting kernel memory to application

8. Will Iomega Ditto tape drive work with Linux?

9. Application Service Provider-http://zjj90:8080/servlet/inchstservlet-fee management page.-asp

10. http client server application

11. Error in porting a running Http Application to uClinux-2.0.38

12. Can HTTP use as a file transfer application?

13. send HTTP query from user application