Difference between module and driver?

Post by Desmond Rive » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:56:20

Hi all,

For some odd reason, RedHat Linux systems and ATI Rage Fury Pros 128 don't
seem to like each other. I've been using Linux and X for the past two
years now as a bit of a detached user. The version of X-windows that came
with RedHat 6.2 would not work with the card at all (I finally settled on
a product from XiG). RedHat 7.1 and 7.2 seemed to work fine. But now I'm
having problems with RedHat 7.3.

Admittedly, the problems are not huge. So far, the only thing that is
happening is that my login screen is completely screwed up. Whenever I
log out of GNOME and get back to the login screen, I see remanants of my
old desktop strewn over the monitor - as if the framebuffer wasn't cleared
properly. In addition, I see a noisy horizontal bar displayed on the top -
as if the screen is displaying part of an uninitialized framebuffer.

Another thing: The install worked without a hitch, but Xconfigurator
cannot detect my card when I run it again on a working installation. So
I've learned not to run Xconfigurator :)

The r128 driver seems to be working fine on my system, according to the
tests on the DRI site, though of course it seems quite obvious to me that
there is a bug in there somewhere...

Yes I do have a point here. Please bear with me :) If anyone has an ideas
on the above problems, please let me know!

I finally decided to take this as an oppourtunity to try a little
kernel/XFree86 4.2/DRI fixing. I've never done this before, so it's all a
bit daunting. I only have the faintest notion of where to start.

First, I thought I'd try getting the absolute latest drivers/modules from
the DRI site, thinking that the problem may have already been fixed.

Of course, I have a few questions :)

1. What is the difference between a (Linux loadable kernel) module and a
driver? As far as I can tell, r128.o is the module and r128_drv.o is the
driver. Are they both inserted with insmod? What's the difference?

2. How exactly are version numbers managed with these drivers/modules? I
found the place on my system where the r128.o file is stored. Is there a
way to tell which "build" this file was actually produced from? I thought
that maybe I could use some sort of id number to see what sorts of changes
were made between RedHat 7.2 and 7.3, since I never had any problems with
RedHat 7.2, or 7.1.

3. I may have been missing something on the DRI site : is there a change
log listed somewhere, that describes all the bugs that may have been fixed
in a particular module/driver?

4. I've been trying to get my hands on the latest drivers and modules for
my system, but the package I downloaded from the DRI site seems to be
source code, and the install script seems to insist on compiling it :) Is
there a simple binary release somewhere? I don't mind compiling source
code I'm familiar with, but I'm VERY unfamiliar with this stuff, and so
when problems arise (like they did last night), I have no idea how to
troubleshoot them.

5. If anyone knows any good resources for this sort of thing, can you
point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Confucius says:

Man with hand in pocket
Feel*y all day.

Post by anc » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 02:51:14

> [...]

> were made between RedHat 7.2 and 7.3, since I never had any problems with
> RedHat 7.2, or 7.1.

> 3. I may have been missing something on the DRI site : is there a change
> log listed somewhere, that describes all the bugs that may have been fixed
> in a particular module/driver?

> 4. I've been trying to get my hands on the latest drivers and modules for
> my system, but the package I downloaded from the DRI site seems to be
> source code, and the install script seems to insist on compiling it :) Is
> there a simple binary release somewhere? I don't mind compiling source
> code I'm familiar with, but I'm VERY unfamiliar with this stuff, and so
> when problems arise (like they did last night), I have no idea how to
> troubleshoot them.

> 5. If anyone knows any good resources for this sort of thing, can you

I dont know the answer to all your questions, but I had similar problems
with lines and random graphics switching window managers...that was with
Xfree 4.03. Since I have upgraded to Xfree 4.2 the X window system is
faster, and the random graphics have now disappeared. To find out which
version of X you have, type XFree86 -version
Xfree is easy to install the XFree site provides an install script which
will do all the work for you.

1. what the difference bewteen Module and Compiled drivers inLinux??

hello,

can someone please explain what the difference between configuring linux
to use some driver as compiled into the kernel or as Module?

when I configure Linux to add some driver, there is the choice of
N/Y/N, this means to add that driver as a Module, or Compiled into the
kernel, or Not to add it at all.

I noticed that If I choose the option to have the driver compiled in,
things work, i.e. the device in question I can get to use, but when I choose
Module option, the device was not recgnized, becuase there was not driver
to it inthe kernel, so what is the point of choosing M to build something?

how is something Build as module is supposed to be loaded when needed?
is this described somehwhere?

thanks!!
Nasser

2. Need Help .ksh scritp/removing data

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Stumbling block in developing FIRST GUI

5. Audio quality differences between Linux (emu10k1 driver) & Windows (CL's driver)

6. 2.0.32 and modules question

7. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

8. recover from disk fail with mirrorred FS

9. Ft. Worth - Linux Kernel Module Programmer - Unix kernel modules & Unix device drivers

10. How can I put a module/driver below IP driver in a stream?

11. Streams drivers standard module/driver interfaces