Mach64 (was Re: Announcing XFree86[TM] Beta Version 3.1.2A)

Post by Steve Hammo » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>  2.8.  Mach64 server

>     o  Hardware cursor mask problem has been fixed.

>     o  Support for the AT&T 20C408 RAMDAC/Clockchip has been added.

>     o  Arbitrary clocks can be used on most boards with supported clock
>        chips.  This is enabled with the "program_clocks" option.

So does this mean that this should solve the problem with ATI's 'new'
chip added this summer? I have a new ATI Mach64 (Expression - I think!) with
1Mb DRAM. If I install the new Mach64 Server, should it now work? Do I need to
install any of the other beta stuff or can I get away with just the server?

Cheers

--
Steve Hammond, Final Year Undergraduate in Computer Science
Computing Laboratory, The University, Canterbury, Kent, CT2 7NF, UK

Post by Andy Smi » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>  2.8.  Mach64 server

>>     o  Hardware cursor mask problem has been fixed.

>>     o  Support for the AT&T 20C408 RAMDAC/Clockchip has been added.

>>     o  Arbitrary clocks can be used on most boards with supported clock
>>        chips.  This is enabled with the "program_clocks" option.

This is fine for the 20C408, but that chip must be obsolete. My new
ATI Mach 64 has a 20C498 clock chip. When I configure the screen to the
"640x480" settings I X -probeonly gives only 4 clocks any other
resolutions lock up the computer. Am I screwed. I just traded the my
trident 9440 in for the ATI because I knew the ATI was supported. Silly
me.

BTW, I am using 3.1.2 with the 3.1.2a Mach64 server. I am out of ideas.
Any help? please?

-Andy

-----------

My opinions are mine and mine alone.
You can imagine how that makes me feel.

Post by GARAN JONATHAN DALLIMO » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>>  2.8.  Mach64 server

>>     o  Hardware cursor mask problem has been fixed.

>>     o  Support for the AT&T 20C408 RAMDAC/Clockchip has been added.

>>     o  Arbitrary clocks can be used on most boards with supported clock
>>        chips.  This is enabled with the "program_clocks" option.

>So does this mean that this should solve the problem with ATI's 'new'
>chip added this summer? I have a new ATI Mach64 (Expression - I think!) with
>1Mb DRAM. If I install the new Mach64 Server, should it now work? Do I need to
>install any of the other beta stuff or can I get away with just the server?

I emailed XFree.  They replied as following...

 >> Sorry to bother you again,  but there's a new beta release.  Does it
 >> attempt to solve my problems ?

 > Depends. If your card uses the ATT20C408, yes, if it uses the 264CT, no.

Now I suppose you want to know about a possible patch...

 >> Are you working on the 264CT ?

 > Nope, but one of our developers is.

 >> If you are, do you think it'll be ready before the new year ?

 > No idea, but I guess that January is a more reasonable timeframe.

Hope this helps...

Garan

Post by David Daw » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>>  2.8.  Mach64 server

>>>     o  Hardware cursor mask problem has been fixed.

>>>     o  Support for the AT&T 20C408 RAMDAC/Clockchip has been added.

>>>     o  Arbitrary clocks can be used on most boards with supported clock
>>>        chips.  This is enabled with the "program_clocks" option.

>This is fine for the 20C408, but that chip must be obsolete. My new
>ATI Mach 64 has a 20C498 clock chip. When I configure the screen to the
>"640x480" settings I X -probeonly gives only 4 clocks any other
>resolutions lock up the computer. Am I screwed. I just traded the my
>trident 9440 in for the ATI because I knew the ATI was supported. Silly
>me.

>BTW, I am using 3.1.2 with the 3.1.2a Mach64 server. I am out of ideas.
>Any help? please?

Does the RAMDAC have 20C498 printed on it, or are you relying on the
incorrect information reported by SuperProbe?  The 20C498 is a RAMDAC
only.  It has no clock chip.  The 20C408 is like a 20C498 with a clock
chip added.

As I said in a recent posting, the 20C408 support in 3.1.2A beta version
requires you to add your own clocks line (including a selection of clocks
you want to be able to use), and also to add the line:

  Option "program_clocks"

to the Device section of your XF86Config.  This will not be required
in future releases.

David
--

The XFree86 Project, Inc                      Phone: +61 2 351 2639
c/- School of Physics,                        Fax:   +61 2 660 2903