ATI all-in-Wonder video card, X server problem

ATI all-in-Wonder video card, X server problem

Post by Marc Jourdeui » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I am using the ATI all-in-Wonder video card,
with 4Mb Ram.
It seems to use the Mach 64 chipset,
chip type is 3D Rage II+ 215GT...

I am currently using a 15" NEC Multisync 4FGe.
I looked up the specs on this monitor on NEC's
web site, but I don't know what to enter for
the DotClock, HTimings, VTimings.

I am using Linux RedHat v4.1a, Kernel 2.0.27
Win95 works fine with this video card & monitor.

I have tried to use InfoMagic Metro-X X server.
I am not trying XFree86 version 3.3.

I have run XF86Setup a few times, with different
card settings. I always get a black screen when it tries
to start the X server, then I have to reboot.
I have used the XF86Config.eg to build my own XF86Config
file.

Here is a subset of my /usr/lib/X11/XF86Config file:

# Monitor section
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "NEC Multisync 4FGe"
    VendorName  "NEC"
    ModelName   "Multisync 4FGe"
    HorizSync   31-62         # multisync
    VertRefresh 55-90         # multisync
    Mode "640x480"
        DotClock        25.175
        HTimings        640 664 760 800
        VTimings        480 491 493 525
    EndMode
EndSection

# Graphics device section
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI All-in-wonder"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "All-in-wonder"
    Chipset     "mach64"
#    VideoRam    4096
    ChipId      0x4754
    ChipRev     0x01
#    Clocks     25.2 28.3
EndSection

# Screen sections
# The colour SVGA server

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "Accel"
    Device      "ATI All-in-wonder"
    Monitor     "NEC Multisync 4FGe"
    DefaultColorDepth 8
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     800 600
    EndSubsection
EndSection

#I run startx and get this output:
X > /tmp/x.out 2>&1

0
(**) Mach64: Mach64 chipset override, using ChipID 0x4754 instead of
0x4755
(**) Mach64: Mach64 chipset override, using ChipRev 0x01 instead of 0x9a
(--) Mach64: card type: PCI
(--) Mach64: Memory type: 3
(--) Mach64: Clock type: Internal
(--) Mach64: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 170.000 MHz
(**) Mach64: Mode "640x480": mode clock =  25.175
(**) Mach64: Virtual resolution: 800x600
(--) Mach64: videoram: 4096k
(--) Mach64: Using hardware cursor

(--) Mach64: Ramdac is Internal
(--) Mach64: Using 8 bits per RGB value
(--) Mach64: Pixmap cache: 0 256x256 slots, 0 128x128 slots, 0 64x64
slots
(--) Mach64: Font cache: 0 fonts

Got 2/3 of the right side of the screen grey with big X.
hit ctrl-alt-back space to exit.
Run startx, get 2 xterm windows in that same small screen (2/3 of
screen).
How can I use the entire screen for the Xserver?

If anyone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Marc

Post by tog.. » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

| I am using the ATI all-in-Wonder video card,
+ with 4Mb Ram.
| It seems to use the Mach 64 chipset,
+ chip type is 3D Rage II+ 215GT...

+ I am currently using a 15" NEC Multisync 4FGe.
| I looked up the specs on this monitor on NEC's
+ web site, but I don't know what to enter for
| the DotClock, HTimings, VTimings.

I can't help you there, other than to point you to the
/usr/X11/lib/X11/docs/Monitors file.  I found the specs for my
NEC 3D there...

+ I am using Linux RedHat v4.1a, Kernel 2.0.27

You should download the 4.2 upgrade .rpm's, it's not that much.
But remember to get xbanner if you don't already have it.

| Win95 works fine with this video card & monitor.

Yes, rather well supported *sigh*.

+ I have tried to use InfoMagic Metro-X X server.

Their latest release does not support the RAGE-II chipset, far as
I can tell (I tried), and they haven't responded to either of my
emails asking if they plan to support it in the future.  Just
dead silence...

| I am not trying XFree86 version 3.3.

You should, it _does_ support the RAGE-II.  Looks like you're
using the correct ChipID, etc in your "Device" section.

+ I have run XF86Setup a few times, with different
| card settings. I always get a black screen when it tries
+ to start the X server, then I have to reboot.

Cause of Metro-X.

AcceleratedX does support some RAGE chipsets, but I couldn't get
it to work with my PC2TV ATI card.  It's commercial, besides.

| I have used the XF86Config.eg to build my own XF86Config
+ file.

+ Here is a subset of my /usr/lib/X11/XF86Config file:

+ # Monitor section
| Section "Monitor"
+     Identifier  "NEC Multisync 4FGe"
|     VendorName  "NEC"
+     ModelName   "Multisync 4FGe"
|     HorizSync   31-62         # multisync
+     VertRefresh 55-90         # multisync

These don't look unreasonable, but check that Monitors file...

|     Mode "640x480"
+         DotClock        25.175
|         HTimings        640 664 760 800
+         VTimings        480 491 493 525
|     EndMode
+ EndSection

+ # Graphics device section
| Section "Device"
+     Identifier  "ATI All-in-wonder"
|     VendorName  "ATI"
+     BoardName   "All-in-wonder"
|     Chipset     "mach64"
+ #    VideoRam    4096
|     ChipId      0x4754
+     ChipRev     0x01
| #    Clocks     25.2 28.3
+ EndSection

This all looks fine for XFree86 v3.3...

| # Screen sections
+ # The colour SVGA server

+ Section "Screen"
|     Driver      "Accel"
+     Device      "ATI All-in-wonder"
|     Monitor     "NEC Multisync 4FGe"
+     DefaultColorDepth 8
|     Subsection "Display"
+         Depth       8
|         Modes       "640x480"
+         ViewPort    0 0
|         Virtual     800 600
+     EndSubsection
| EndSection

+ How can I use the entire screen for the Xserver?

Specify a different Modes line.  Use the example one that
Xconfigurator or xf86config would give you.

| If anyone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

Hope this helps...

--

Post by Marc Jourdeui » Fri, 08 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> | I am using the ATI all-in-Wonder video card,
> + with 4Mb Ram.

> + I am using Linux RedHat v4.1a, Kernel 2.0.27

> | I am now trying XFree86 version 3.3.

> AcceleratedX does support some RAGE chipsets, but I couldn't get
> it to work with my PC2TV ATI card.  It's commercial, besides.

> | I have used the XF86Config.eg to build my own XF86Config
> + file.
> |
> + Here is a subset of my /usr/lib/X11/XF86Config file:

> + How can I use the entire screen for the Xserver?

> Specify a different Modes line.  Use the example one that
> Xconfigurator or xf86config would give you.

> | If anyone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

> Hope this helps...

> --

Togath,

You got me on the right track. I found the Monitors file, and
used the entry for my monitor in the XF86Config file.
This worked!
I made a typo in my original post, I AM using XFree86 3.3.
Thanks for the help.

1. X server problem with ATI all-in-Wonder video card

I am using the ATI all-in-Wonder video card,
with 4Mb Ram.
It seems to use the Mach 64 chipset,
chip type is 3D Rage II+ 215GT...

I am currently using a 15" NEC Multisync 4FGe,
for which I don't know it's characteristics.

I am using Linux RedHat v4.1a, Kernel 2.0.27

I have tried to use InfoMagic Metro-X X server
and XFree86 version 3.3, can't seem to get either to work.

I have run XF86Setup a few times, with different
card settings. I always get a black screen when it tries
to start the X server, then I have to reboot.

Win95 works fine with this video card & monitor.

If anyone has a solution, it would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Marc

2. Answerbook problem

3. SB PCI sound card, ASUS PSB MB, & ATI all-in-wonder AGP 8M video card?

4. Help - problem with ConfigXF86

5. PROBLEM: ATI All-In-Wonder Video Card

6. getting file extension in bourne shell?

7. Problems with ATI All-in-Wonder video card config using xf86config, startx

8. BASH: environment variable in function returns empty

9. ati wonder pro or ati wonder radeon video card

10. ATI All-In-Wonder Video Card

11. Double Screen in X windows using ATI All-in-Wonder Pro Video card

12. ati wonder pro or ati wonder radeon video card

13. ATI Rage II and ATI All-in-Wonder cards, anyone ?