Switching from console to X makes monitor say "no signal"

Switching from console to X makes monitor say "no signal"

Post by Severin Greime » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 05:13:12

Hi everybody,

I have a Compaq Presario 5FR110 with an onboard Trident *blade/i1
graphics card. I have managed to get a working X configuration, but as soon
as I switch to a console via Ctrl-Alt-Fn I can no longer switch back to X.
If I do, the monitor says something like "no signal, check if your
connections are okay". If I then press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X
server, it goes down okay and I can restart it. Has anybody an idea what
could be causing this?

Thanks for any hints.

Severin

Post by Klaus Moedinge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 11:18:24

>  I have a Compaq Presario 5FR110 with an onboard Trident *blade/i1
>  graphics card. I have managed to get a working X configuration, but as soon
>  as I switch to a console via Ctrl-Alt-Fn I can no longer switch back to X.
>  If I do, the monitor says something like "no signal, check if your
>  connections are okay". If I then press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X
>  server, it goes down okay and I can restart it. Has anybody an idea what
>  could be causing this?

I have the same problem. :-(
Board is an ASUS CUPLE-VM, Monitor says "No sync - Power saving" when
I switch back to X via ALT-F12.

Regarding the signal quality, the *blade/i1 seems to be surprisingly
good, nearly as good as my Matrox Mystique,  considerably better than
my Riva TNT-2. I really would like to get it working.

I fiddled around with various settings in XF86Config-4 for a while,
without any success...

Regards
Klaus

Switching from console to X makes monitor say "no signal"

Post by Klaus Moedinge » Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:38:42

Quote:>  I have a Compaq Presario 5FR110 with an onboard Trident *blade/i1
>  graphics card. I have managed to get a working X configuration, but as soon
>  as I switch to a console via Ctrl-Alt-Fn I can no longer switch back to X.
>  If I do, the monitor says something like "no signal, check if your
>  connections are okay". If I then press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the X
>  server, it goes down okay and I can restart it. Has anybody an idea what
>  could be causing this?

I had the same problem, but now I got the *blade/i1 working under
xfree 4.1.0 using the frame buffer driver ("fbdev"). Switching from
console to X and vice versa makes no problems. Added benefit: 100x37 in
console mode (vga=0x314 in lilo.conf). 100x37 is what I use, other modes
are of course possible too.

Regards
Klaus

1. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

Hello all,
after much blood, sweat, tears and swearing I got Linux running on a
Compaq 386/20. It has 10MB RAM, about 1GB disk space and a CD-ROM.
It recently gone on the internet as an ftp resource.

Everything worked fine at first but now Telnet & ftp have become unreliable.
When they work, they work fine. However when they don't:

- FTP session
  Open <symbolic address> says:

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "Escape character is '^]'."
  "Connection closed by foreign host."

- Telnet session

  "Connected to <Symbolic address>"
  "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"

  and drops me back to the Linux prompt.

It does this regardless of the client (DOS, Windows, Mac or Un*x).
Ping finds the box and since it sometimes works I'm a bit stuck on
what to try next. I've tried "kill -HUP <inetd PID>". The damn
thing is visible and connect-to-able...

Our campus uses nameservers and I've included four in resolv.conf.
Name resolution uses "named" nameservers first. (Order bind, host
in host.conf).

I've just tried *again* and ... then damn thing is now working!!!
I have a few ideas but don't know how to test them, they are:

- Could it be something is timing out (our network is very busy
  and slow quite often) ? How do I confirm this ?

- Could it be some connection limit (shouldn't be, it's very rare
  that more than one person are connected at once).
  Where is this info held ?

- Could it be a name resolution funny (would "host" help here ?).
  Can I test this ?

- Could it be the first Telnet request(s) fail until some
  sort of dynamic table somewhere is updated ?

- Is inetd not loading telnetd for some reason ?

I've checked that the symbolic name and IP number are correct.
The system does a reboot (via a cron script) but this is
identical to another (486) Linux box which works fine ...

I've read books, scanned FAQs etc. but don't really know
where I can sensibly look next. I don't expect answers,
just suggestions of what/where to looknext.
I apologise if this is a trivial or stupid question, I'm
an acting sysadmin with my "L" plates still on ...

Also, another query:
Where is lpd loaded at boot-time ?
Can it safely be *not* loaded to save CPU and RAM ?
(the machine doesn't have a printer attached).

Thanks in advance for any information/suggestions,
   Andy.

2. Help, I'm broken. (Compiling sendmail 8.7.1/ELF)

4. Cheap boxes & sanity

5. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

6. Two NICs routing problem

8. Is there any cdr software for SONY 928E?

9. Ubergeek says "Switch to Linux"

10. Made e2fs filesystem, mount still says "fs type ntfs not supported by kernel"

11. tip just says "connected" -- or dials & busy signal at same time

12. Syslogd says: "Exiting on signal 15"

13. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...