What is difference between "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" ?

What is difference between "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" ?

Post by Louie Chan Ching Kwon » Mon, 27 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello !

I have tried both "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" in /etc/inittab and also run "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon"
under bash. And I checked the processes in memory when running "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon".
However, I cannot find  any difference when using them. I read "man xdm" but it cannot explain
me in detail with examples.

Can anyone tell me what is difference between "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" in detail with some examples ?

Thanks for your help !!!

Best Rgds. Louie

What is difference between "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" ?

Post by 95865.. » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I think I have done all right so far in looking after myself with linux
so far, but there are just two things I am completely stumped with.
I've managed to get everything else working fine....and now....

1.  XDM / KDM

How the hell do I start these at boot!!!
Yeah, I know all the rc.d, init.d crap, and I have tried everyrhing to
get these to load it at boot, but so far nothing...I am using redhat,
and have tried <unsuccessfully> to get XDM or KDM to start at boot, but
I can sort out other services such as apache, lpd, etc...This problem is
beginning to affect my sanity!!!

2. Perl

Whenever I try and run some programs, I get a message about locale not
being set, check your locale settings etc, you know what I mean.  I have
traced this back to perl, but I cannot figure out how to change the
settings for perl, so that It'll run stuff, and not bomb out on me.  I
thank you for you help!

Thanks, if you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate a reply

What is difference between "xdm" and "xdm -nodaemon" ?

Post by Paul D. Smi » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

%% Regarding Stoopid Newbie Question 'bout XDM, and also Perl ;);

  9au> 1.  XDM / KDM

  9au> How the hell do I start these at boot!!!
  9au> Yeah, I know all the rc.d, init.d crap, and I have tried everyrhing to
  9au> get these to load it at boot, but so far nothing...

Look in the file /etc/inittab.  Near the top you will see a section like
this (this is from my RH5, so the comments _could_ be different if you
have a different version... but the non-comment line should be the same):

  # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
  #   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
  #   1 - Single user mode
  #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
  #   3 - Full multiuser mode
  #   4 - unused
  #   5 - X11
  #   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
  #
  id:3:initdefault:

In the last line here, change the "3" (Full multiuser mode) to "5"
(X11), like this:

  id:5:initdefault:

Voila!  XDM will start next time you reboot.

Don't know anything about KDM, so I can't help you there.

  9au> Thanks, if you can answer any of these questions, I'd appreciate

Sorry, as a rule I'll only reply to the reply address in the headers.

     These are my opinions--Bay Networks takes no responsibility for them.