Swedish keyboard and MetroX (RH 5)

Post by Bj?rn Nilss » Fri, 26 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

The installation of RH5 works fine, and so does the install of MetroX. But
when I try to use my swedish keyboard, I find that all the keys that use
the Alt-Gr doesn't work (i.e. tilde, braces, brackets, backslash and other
essential keys). It does find the normal (for american readers peculiar)
keys like ?, ?, ? and friends.
I tried to address this question to the RedHat support, but they closed the
subject and pointed me to either their forums or here. (What I think about
that is another matter, hmmm.....)

Cheers

Bj?rn

Post by Lars Ungerdah » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi!

> The installation of RH5 works fine, and so does the install of MetroX. But
> when I try to use my swedish keyboard, I find that all the keys that use
> the Alt-Gr doesn't work (i.e. tilde, braces, brackets, backslash and other
> essential keys). It does find the normal (for american readers peculiar)
> keys like ?, ?, ? and friends.
> I tried to address this question to the RedHat support, but they closed the
> subject and pointed me to either their forums or here. (What I think about
> that is another matter, hmmm.....)

> Cheers

> Bj?rn

I have the same problem to and after looking around
I think that It's a file missing in the dir
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap and the file missing is metro
because the error message I get is Can't open "keymap/metro"
and for a test i copied the xfree86 to metro and run startx
and then the keys using Alt-Gr worked.
I don't think this solves the problem but it is a workaround.

Lars

Post by Magnus Larsso » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> when I try to use my swedish keyboard, I find that all the keys that use
> the Alt-Gr doesn't work (i.e. tilde, braces, brackets, backslash and other
> essential keys). It does find the normal (for american readers peculiar)
> keys like ?, ?, ? and friends.

I also run RH5.0 + MetroX and I have solved this problem by adding the
followin to /etc/X11/XMetroconfig

Section "Keyboard"
    Protocol  "Standard"
    XkbKeymap "metro(se_SE)"
    RightAlt  ModeShift       <<<< Added
EndSection

This line did I found in my RH4.0 installation running XFree86 + S3.
I also have noticed the strange errors when starting MetroX in the
/var/log/Xerrors file.

Magnus Larsson___________________________________________________________

Halmstad University,P.O.Box 823           http://www.hh.se/dep/cca/
S-301 18 Halmstad, SWEDEN           Phone: +46 35167383 Fax: +46 35120348

1. Swedish keyboard file for Macintosh keyboard?

Hi,
Is there anyone who can tell me if there's a ready made swedish keyboard
file (console mode) for the Mac keyboard. The Debian install has only
english, french, and german I believe.

If there isn't I may do it myself. But can anyone tell me where those files
are and how I should edit them.

I use Debian v2.2 on a PowerMac 7200/90. No X, only console! It's a server
:-)

TIA,
Mikael

2. restricted ftp account

3. Swedish keyboard ?

4. Search in Apache

5. Swedish Keyboard device (port i386)

6. What is the best spooler software

7. Keyboardfile for swedish keyboard?

8. Running 8 bpp app on 16 bpp XServer

9. Keyboard change from US eng to Swedish

10. Keymap for Swedish keyboard?

11. Swedish/Finnish RS6000 Keyboards

12. Swedish keyboard layout

13. Corel Linux and swedish keyboard