gnome setup error

Post by Jay Raja » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to install GNOME on my system and have hit a wall. Any thoughts
on the following:

Installed Gnome 1.0x (received updated files w/the RH 5.2 CD I ordered from
CheapBytes) and am unable to get it to run. I've optimized my monitor/video
card settings (using xvidtune) and have made the necessary changes in my
XF86Config file. I also changed my Xclients file so that it just has an
'exec gnome-session' (also tried just  'gnome-session) line in it. When I
type startx, everything starts ok, the monitor switches into graphics mode,
and then abruptly switches back out, where i see the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /etc/X11/Xclients: Permission Denied
exec: /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients: cannot execute: Permission Denied

I've experimented a little bit, and tried using xinit and, once in x, typing
gnome-session at the command prompt in xterm (gnome terminal?). Strangely
enough, this works? Can anyone help me figure this out?

I've had no problem getting AfterStep, etc... working, but would really like
to be using gnome. Thanks a lot!

JR

gnome setup error

Post by Patrick de Jon » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

> I'm trying to install GNOME on my system and have hit a wall. Any thoughts
> on the following:

> Installed Gnome 1.0x (received updated files w/the RH 5.2 CD I ordered from
> CheapBytes) and am unable to get it to run. I've optimized my monitor/video
> card settings (using xvidtune) and have made the necessary changes in my
> XF86Config file. I also changed my Xclients file so that it just has an
> 'exec gnome-session' (also tried just  'gnome-session) line in it. When I
> type startx, everything starts ok, the monitor switches into graphics mode,
> and then abruptly switches back out, where i see the following:

> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /etc/X11/Xclients: Permission Denied
> exec: /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients: cannot execute: Permission Denied

> I've experimented a little bit, and tried using xinit and, once in x, typing
> gnome-session at the command prompt in xterm (gnome terminal?). Strangely
> enough, this works? Can anyone help me figure this out?

> I've had no problem getting AfterStep, etc... working, but would really like
> to be using gnome. Thanks a lot!

> JR

I had the same problems creating a new XClients file. It has to do with the
XClients file not able to be executed.
do a ls -la and you'll see the permissions of the file.

As a newbie I have no idea how to set the permissions (yet), so I made a cp of
the original XClients and edited the original.
This way I didn't need to worry about permissions and stuff...

hope this helps :)
    Patrick

gnome setup error

Post by Jay Raja » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

hmm... that could be the problem, I'll give it a shot. As far as changing
access privileges on a file goes, I think what you want to use is the the
'chmod' command. Check out the man page on it, but my understanding of how
it is to be used is as follows:

    chmod owner-group-other <filename>,

where (for each of the categories) 4 turns on the read bit, 2 turns on the
write bit, and 1 turns on the execute bit. If you want to turn on read,
write and execute, you simply add 4+2+1. For example, say you wanted to give
the only the owner of the file read, write and execute privileges, you'd use
'chmod 700 <filename>'. There's other ways in which to use chmod as well
(from what I understand), so I'd recommend reading the man page or talking
to someone who really know what they're doing!

JR

1. gnome setup error

I'm trying to install GNOME on my system and have hit a wall. Any thoughts
on the following:

Installed Gnome 1.0x (received updated files w/the RH 5.2 CD I ordered from
CheapBytes) and am unable to get it to run. I've optimized my monitor/video
card settings (using xvidtune) and have made the necessary changes in my
XF86Config file. I also changed my Xclients file so that it just has an
'exec gnome-session' line in it. When I type startx, everything starts ok,
the monitor switches into graphics mode, and then abruptly switches back
out, where i see the following:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc: /etc/X11/Xclients: Permission Denied
exec: /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients: cannot execute: Permission Denied

I've experimented a little bit, and tried using xinit and, once in x, typing
gnome-session at the command prompt in xterm (gnome terminal?). Strangely
enough, this works? Can anyone help me figure this out?

I've had no problem getting AfterStep, etc... working, but would really like
to be using gnome. Thanks a lot!

JR

2. Shut down the monitor automatically under X

3. Gnome configure error, gnome-libs version not seen correctly

4. Large IDE drives (>540 MB)

5. Solaris10 'Gnome Settings Daemon' error stopping gnome from loading

6. Starting Mobile IP on Solaris 8

7. Linux setup error debuging/any log file for setup ?

8. ATIvid card & Xwindows HELP please

9. error in /usr/lib/setup/setup

10. slakware setup error debuging/any log file for setup ?

11. serial setup error :Input/ouput error..... using setserial

12. setup error: crc error.

13. Gnome setup