XFree86 Modelines ... Cry for Help.

Post by Travelle » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi everyone...

I've had my Linux box up for about a month and a half now, and I'm
really starting to 'get into' the OS.  In fact the only thing I haven't
been able to get a grasp on is the XFree86 Modelines.  I mailed the
maker of the monitor, and asked them to send me some mode timings for my
monitor, and I was able to get a really nice 800x600 mode timing.  So
I've been using 800x600 with a 1024x768 virtual desktop and eveything
seems to be going well.  However, I just downloaded WindowMaker a couple
of days ago, and now more than ever, I want to be able to see the whole
screen  in 1024x768.  The timing on the sheet for 1024x768 is to high
for my monitor's 48kHz Horizontal Sync Freq.  And I've  spent a total of
about 4 days trying to hack out a modeline for 1024x768, without any
success.  I've checked out some tutorials, and printed out about 200
pages worth of docs on figuring out modes, but the concepts involved
keep slipping through my fingers.  I'll be the first person to admit
that I'm not brilliant when it comes to calculating equations, but if so
many other people can understand how modelines work, why can't I?
(Sorry.  A little self-evaluation going on here.)

Would  one of you gurus be able to help me out with calculating some
modelines?

I've been working on a 1024x768 modeline (as I said previously) so ANY
help with that would be great.

I'm using a Princeton Graphics Ultra 50 monitor with the following
specs:

Bandwidth:  65 MHz
Vert. Scan Range:  Auto-synchronizing  50 Hz - 110 Hz
Horiz. Scan Range:  30 KHz - 48 KHz

My Video Card is a 2 Mb Jaton Video 57P (pretty generic) using a Trident
9680 chipset with programmable clocks.  It's Max Dot Clock Freq. is
135.000 MHz.

I'm using the SVGA server, and all that works great.  But I'm to the
point of saying 'ahh...* it'.  To make things worse is that, I have
no one to chat about this with in person.  With my luck I'm probably the
only person interested in this, in the small town in AZ where I live.

Thanks in advance for any help...

- Traveller

XFree86 Modelines ... Cry for Help.

Post by Sasch » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi Traveller,

I dont know exactly how to calculate modelines, but there is some
documentation in the XFree-package. look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/

But I can tell you, that you would ruin your eyes by trying 1024x748.
Your monitor can do 48kHz / 768 lines = 61 Hz horizantal freqenzy, but the
monitor needs time to get back to the upper left. So you get a frequenzy
less than 60 Hz!! Dont do that if you work more than 5 minutes a day on
your box!

Hope that helped
Sascha

Post by Travelle » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi Traveller,

> But I can tell you, that you would ruin your eyes by trying 1024x748.
> Your monitor can do 48kHz / 768 lines = 61 Hz horizantal freqenzy, but the
> monitor needs time to get back to the upper left. So you get a frequenzy
> less than 60 Hz!! Dont do that if you work more than 5 minutes a day on
> your box!

Thanks Sascha,

Sometimes I get so caught up in making my hardware run at top levels, that I
forget some things just aren't so good for me.  Must be a power thing.  8^)

Quote:> Hope that helped

--
- Traveller

'I think I learn more helping others, than by helping myself'

1. The real power of Linux (cry Winbabies cry!)

I'm a self employed electronics person, who uses Linux
exclusively to design electronic equipment, mostly micro
processor controlled, and to do that, I use the wide range
of applications available that run under Linux.

Could I do this under Windows, ..for sure, tho it would cost
a lot more, and offer little, if not less for the extra money.

Last Tuesday Dec5, I d/l a nice looking app called 'gentry',  which
I had just seen on http://www.freshmeat.net. Gentry is a X GUI, used
to enter data into MySql. It compiled and ran just fine on my Linux box,
and I emailed the author thanking him for making it available.

The last line of my email ended thusly :-

I sent the email at 4:42am. At 3:57pm the same day, the author of gentry
, Ed Davidson sent me a patch, with the fix for that little bug. I applied
the patch, recompiled and hey presto the time field required no quotes to
be entered :)

Was this magic, money or was it because I'm famous for harassing
"Steve/Heather/Keys88/Claire_lynn/Amy/Swango/Swangoremovemee" on COLA ???

Nope it was because this is Linux, and the software is Free Software.

No prepaid maintenance, no endless muzac while I'm told 'your call is in
the cue, cause our three stressed out help desk staff are busy"
, nope none of that!

Just a reply and FIX, the same day, from a total stranger who will never
be paid $$ by me, to fix a problem with his software, that he gave me
for free, in the first place.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

2. formac card

3. Need help w/ XFree86 modeline for HP 98753A Fixed Freq Monitor!

4. IPCHAINS/Firewalling: END OF OUR ROPE

5. Recover rm:ed files on vfat. Cry cry cry.

6. Bad blocks... I need help!!

7. Newbie Cry for Help: 2-box Network

8. Starting CDE from command line

9. XFree86 ModeLine for Toshiba 440CDX

10. A Microway Linux Alpha Saga and Cry for Help

11. XFree86 And Modelines

12. XFree86 Modeline for 1280x1024 at 85Hz?

13. Change modeline in XFree86-4.0