CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by Nelso » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hey all,

I just got the new RedHat CDE from TriTeal & I bet it will look good
when it works !
After installing I get the login screen but when I log in ... it blanks
and then comes back to the login screen again ! !

I know I am login in correctly .. telnet in ..

I cannot seem to be able to find any error messages I would appreciate
any suggestions and/or help ..

thx ,

Nelson

CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by suds » Sun, 26 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> After installing I get the login screen but when I log in ... it blanks
> and then comes back to the login screen again ! !

> I know I am login in correctly .. telnet in ..

> I cannot seem to be able to find any error messages I would appreciate
> any suggestions and/or help ..

Look for the error messages in /var/log/xdm*  and it should be clear
from the messages what is going wrong.

HTH,
suds

CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by Richard Knechte » Wed, 29 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hey all,

> I just got the new RedHat CDE from TriTeal & I bet it will look good
> when it works !
> After installing I get the login screen but when I log in ... it blanks
> and then comes back to the login screen again ! !

> I know I am login in correctly .. telnet in ..

> I cannot seem to be able to find any error messages I would appreciate
> any suggestions and/or help ..

> thx ,

> Nelson

Welcome to the crappy CDE! I have had that same problem for over 6
months +++ and I removed it from my system as it never worked. Piece of
S*&!. I would get your money back IMHO.

--

Richard Knechtel
EDS

       The contents of this message express only MY opinion.
       my employer, EDS.  All responsibility for the statements
       made in this posting resides solely and completely with the
       ME.
       I Ex-Spaminate spammers!
       See US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C)
       and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).

CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by Richard Knechte » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> The simplest way to get it to work is to edit (using vi or emacs) the file
> /etc/securetty and add
> "dt" to a line by itself (omit the quotes).

> Save the file.

> Reboot.

> Login and enjoy.

Been There Done that.

--

Richard Knechtel
EDS
(Systems Engineer/System Administrator)
(Aspiring AS/400 GURU)
(Aspiring Linux GURU)
(Aspiring Visual Basic Programmer)

       The contents of this message express only MY opinion.
       my employer, EDS.  All responsibility for the statements
       made in this posting resides solely and completely with the
       ME.
       I Ex-Spaminate spammers!
       See US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C)
       and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).

CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by Doug Form » Sat, 02 May 1998 04:00:00

says...

> > > Hey all,

> > > I just got the new RedHat CDE from TriTeal & I bet it will look good
> > > when it works !
> > > After installing I get the login screen but when I log in ... it blanks
> > > and then comes back to the login screen again ! !

> > > I know I am login in correctly .. telnet in ..

> > > I cannot seem to be able to find any error messages I would appreciate
> > > any suggestions and/or help ..

> > > thx ,

> > > Nelson

> > Welcome to the crappy CDE! I have had that same problem for over 6
> > months +++ and I removed it from my system as it never worked. Piece of
> > S*&!. I would get your money back IMHO.

> > --

> > Richard Knechtel
> > EDS
> > (Systems Engineer/System Administrator)
> > (Aspiring AS/400 GURU)
> > (Aspiring Linux GURU)
> > (Aspiring Visual Basic Programmer)

> >        The contents of this message express only MY opinion.
> >        This message does not necessarily reflect the policy or views of
> >        my employer, EDS.  All responsibility for the statements
> >        made in this posting resides solely and completely with the
> >        ME.
> >        I Ex-Spaminate spammers!
> >        See US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), Sec.227(b)(1)(C)
> >        and Sec.227(b)(3)(C).

> The simplest way to get it to work is to edit (using vi or emacs) the file
> /etc/securetty and add
> "dt" to a line by itself (omit the quotes).

> Save the file.

I'm also happily using RH CDE with RH50 and think it's a terrific GUI
interface.

When I have played around and had the login - copyright - pause - login
endless loop it is always been network related.  The last time it was
because I did not have my system's name and IP address included in my
/etc/hosts file.  Remember, CDE requires network support to run.

I'd be happy to try to help you further with more info regarding how your
box is set up for networking.

Cheers,

Doug

---

Incline Systems, Inc.
Vancouver, WA, USA

CDE RedHat 5.0 HelP !

Post by Karl Easterl » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Well, I fought with this same problem for a while.  The faq on RedHats Page
is very helpful.  Also you need some patches with R-hat 5.0.  The biggest
problem I had was solved when I configured my Host name correctly.  CDE is
picky about something in there.

But, IT DOES WORK.  !!  I have been happy with it although I have not been
able to get it to work now that I not only installed R-hat5.0 and the CDE
patches, but if you install the other R-hat 5.0 patches for some reason it
dies...  I want to kick them in the head sometimes...  Of course that is a
literal expression of frustration, not a * tendency.

Keep at it, I am.

> > After installing I get the login screen but when I log in ... it blanks
> > and then comes back to the login screen again ! !

> > I know I am login in correctly .. telnet in ..

> > I cannot seem to be able to find any error messages I would appreciate
> > any suggestions and/or help ..

> Look for the error messages in /var/log/xdm*  and it should be clear
> from the messages what is going wrong.

> HTH,
> suds

1. Redhat CDE and Redhat 5.0

Hello,

  I know this is probably a FAQ, but honestly, I can't find it.

  I was using Redhat 4.2 and Redhat CDE. Everything worked great and then
I got greedy and decided to upgrade to Redhat 5.0. The installation
appeared to go smoothly. I then followed the Errata from the Redhat
web site to update the loader and the "fix" for TED. However, when I
rebooted and logged in (I got the dtlogin screen), it hung on the light
blue splash screen - I switched consoles and logged in as root (there
were an awful lot of httpd processes). I checked everything and it appeared
to be fine - so I rebooted and same behavior.

  Reinstall time! I removed CDE with the package manager and attempted to
reinstall CDE. It pukes on me with the following errors:

warning: '-' deprecated with 'ps ax', not 'ps -ax'          (repeated 6 times)

warning: '-' deprecated with 'ps uax', not 'ps -uax'

Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

  This is really starting to piss me off royally. I can't believe a simple
upgrade broke CDE (it didn't break when I upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2). I know,
I know, the lib switch was a BIG upgrade, but come on, this is really silly.

TIA,

Jeff Layton

-or-

-or-

2. tip: all ports busy (NIFAQ)

3. REDHAT 5.0+Triteal CDE--->>weird login problem

4. FIPS error

5. CDE and RedHat 5.0

6. POP3 Server slow in RedHat 7.1

7. TriTeal CDE 4.2 won't work under Redhat 5.0

8. Linux on HP Vectra UX 5/90...

9. MaXimum CDE and Redhat 5.0?

10. CDE Expert with RedHat 5.0 ? ?

11. REDHAT 5.0+Tritral CDE--->>weird login problem

12. CDE dtlogin and Redhat 5.0

13. Help? Installation RedHat 5.0 Help