segmentation errors

Post by Scott Harp » Sat, 31 Dec 1994 00:51:09

I am having problems with a new Slackware/XFree 3.1 installation. I am new
to Linux, so I am unsure how to troubleshoot my problem from here.

After doing the Slackware Pro 2.1 installation, which appeared to go well.
I tried to compile the first program from an Introduction to X Windows by
Jones. After fixing a few problems with the program, I got it to compile,
but when I run the resulting binary I get a segementation error. I
initially wrote this off as something wrong with the program.

Now I install SWiM 2.0, and after installation, when I run mwm I get the
same Segmentation error. I am beginning to suspect that I have a deeper
problem with my installation.

What is a Segmentation error?

Any ideas on how I can narrow down my problem further?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Harper

--
Scott Harper
Cisco Systems

1. Segmentation Error.. Continued.

I have a printf("Starting\n"); statement as the first line in main().

It never gets there.

I compile each module as gcc -c -o module.o module.c
and link by: gcc module1.o module2.o ... -o newprog

In reading the FAQs, it seems that it could be due to rewritable strings...
but the code never even makes it to main(), so I doubt it..

Any ideas?

John Thomsen.

2. FreeBSD-5.1 ftp install

3. dosemu -> Segmentation error

4. copying lines of a file?

5. Segmentation error

6. XLC COMPILER - PROBLEMS

7. segmentation error loading the menu bar in GNOME

8. Modem doesn't detect the hang up signal

9. Segmentation error at apachectl startup

10. segmentation error

11. Segmentation error and TOP

12. segmentation errors on mounted vfat drives

13. Segmentation Error, pls help.