X on RedHat 5.2 Linux, Matrox Millenium II, MAG Innovision

Post by Janos Er » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I'm having strange and intermittent problems with my setup and I'm
> hoping somebody here can help me.

> I'm using Red Hat 5.2 Linux (2.0.36) with a Matrox Millenium II card on
> a MAG Innovision DJ800 monitor.

> Every now and again when I boot up my system, the console comes up
> successfully and then the screen goes blank. The monitor power indicator
> starts blinking orange (standby mode) and I'm unable to do anything
> more. I have to resort to restarting my computer.

> I'm wondering if anybody can advise me on why this is happening ? Also
> sometimes I get sudden hissing noises from my monitor (about once every
> 6-7 weeks).

Can happen, that the timing you defined for the video signals are just
at the limits of those accepted by your Monitor. Try to set up a more
conventional timing scheme in the XF86Config. This can also happen, if
you aren't close to the Monitor's physical limits: some multisync
monitors
don't accept all possible timing combinations, but just a limited
number of setups.

BTW it is the better case when the Monitor remains blank: older Monitors
can get destroyed, when trying to feed video signals outside the limits
(they might produce too high anode voltage).

Janos Ero

Post by Edward Nathe » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Greetings Knowledgeable People

> I'm having strange and intermittent problems with my setup and I'm
> hoping somebody here can help me.

> I'm using Red Hat 5.2 Linux (2.0.36) with a Matrox Millenium II card on
> a MAG Innovision DJ800 monitor.

> Every now and again when I boot up my system, the console comes up
> successfully and then the screen goes blank. The monitor power indicator
> starts blinking orange (standby mode) and I'm unable to do anything
> more. I have to resort to restarting my computer.

This is a known problem with the Millennium II card.  When you
start up, the X server probes the card to find out how much memory
you have, and sometimes it just plain doesn't work.  The solution
is to avoid the probe on startup by specifying, in the XF86Config
file, how much memory you have; then the server doesn't probe.

Here's what I have in mine:

# Device configured by Xconfigurator:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "My Video Card"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    VideoRam    8192
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

ed