HELP: Having bad luck with Xfree86 Cirrus drivers

HELP: Having bad luck with Xfree86 Cirrus drivers

Post by Ron Flor » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

hi-

 I've had very bad luck with all types of cirrus chipsets on several
systems with the SVGA-256 XFree86 shipped with Caldera 1.1-  But
trident, ATI, and most other chipsets seem to work great.

 The usual problem is error messages during startup, such as
unable to find  server, invalid chipset, and clock value not
supported with this chipset.  The startup code properly recognizes the
chipset, vram size etc, but says there is no driver present (sounds
like i'm missing something, does'nt it...).

 I have several cirrus-based video cards- Xfree86 has never been
able use any of them.  Most importantly, I'm trying to get a laptop
running under linux, which has a cirrus 754x chipset, and X acts
the same, ugly way with this chipset....

 Am I the only person to see this, or is there a bugfix out there ???

 thanks for any ideas  :)

ron

HELP: Having bad luck with Xfree86 Cirrus drivers

Post by Peter Whinc » Mon, 29 Sep 1997 04:00:00

this may be a useless post, as i am not even slightly an expert, but
the problem i experience with a cirrus chipset (543x) was that the
xf86config program inserted a clocks line, which was not needed, and,
i believe, contributed to week long nightmare from which i suffered.

also: the hsync values i inserted did not correspond to the ones
"needed" by certain modes, thus i had no modes. (this is because the
lines were deleted during the "startx" process.) so i changed my
xf86config file. easy!

but maybe someone else has something better to offer. hoping i was
some help,

peter

[...]

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Also:

The Cirrus Logic cards generally don't require (and should not have) a
"Clocks" line, according to the documentation I have seen.

--Chuck

HELP: Having bad luck with Xfree86 Cirrus drivers

Post by Chuck Bermingha » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> hi-

>  I've had very bad luck with all types of cirrus chipsets on several
> systems with the SVGA-256 XFree86 shipped with Caldera 1.1-  But
> trident, ATI, and most other chipsets seem to work great.

I'm not familiar with Caldera, but I do have XF86 3.3.1 here at my house,
and the SVGA driver seems to work fine with Cirrus CL542X card.  You might
possibly need to upgrade to a newer release of XF86.  Check out
http://www.XFree86.com--they have a lot to say about Cirrus logic
hardware.

1. Bad driver...Bad bad driver

Problem:  Driver hangs CPU fiercely.  I've written a printer driver that
checks status before outb'ing.  Problem is, if the printer is off, the
driver loops indefinitely on the write.  I've tried schedule_timeout,
interruptible_sleep_on_timeout, etc., to no avail.  I can't do ANYTHING
while this loop is happening.  If I don't turn the printer on to break, the
driver OWNS the CPU.  I've looked at lp.c, but I can't see anything in there
that I'm not, in some form, trying.

Anyone have any experience making a driver more CPU-friendly, please let me
know.

Cheers,
Mike

2. SCCS branch at head of tree?

3. Having problems with XFree86 and Cirrus card

4. Q: Synchronous STREAMS

5. Cirrus Logic 5430 PCI XFree86 accelerated drivers?

6. Promise 378, SATA, and AMD-64

7. Cirrus XFree86 Driver: Alpha tester volunteers

8. Keyboard mapping

9. XFree86 2.1 cirrus driver patch level 1

10. Using XFree86 Cirrus Logic 5422 drivers with Imagine 128

11. Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

12. Cirrus Logic 6440 driver for Linux's XFree86 3.1

13. Any luck with Sharp PC9030 w/Cirrus 754X?