virtual desktop too big to fit screen

Post by Duc-Minh Pha » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 when i run x, my desktop is too big to fit the actual monitor, and i have
to scroll a fair way down and to the right to see all that is on the
desktop. i've tried configuring xf86config, but don't seem to have much
luck...can anyone help me? i am using fvwm2, but i still had the same
problem when i was using fvwm95.

 thanx.
 Duckers.

Post by J.M. Pad » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> when i run x, my desktop is too big to fit the actual monitor, and i have
>to scroll a fair way down and to the right to see all that is on the
>desktop. i've tried configuring xf86config, but don't seem to have much
>luck...can anyone help me? i am using fvwm2, but i still had the same
>problem when i was using fvwm95.

Take a look at your ~/.fvwm2rc file.  About 1/3 down on the first page
will be a line that says "DeskTopSize 2x2 or 2x3".  Use your editor to
change it to read
        DeskTopSize 1x1
This will give you a desktop that coincides with your screen.

Regards,

 "I wish Karl would accumulate some capital instead of just writing
  about it."  --Mrs. Marx

Post by Bagheer » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  when i run x, my desktop is too big to fit the actual monitor, and i have
> to scroll a fair way down and to the right to see all that is on the
> desktop. i've tried configuring xf86config, but don't seem to have much
> luck...can anyone help me? i am using fvwm2, but i still had the same
> problem when i was using fvwm95.

Is this an issue where you have a largeer window than your screen, or a
case of multiple desktops?  If it is the former, look into your
XF86Config file and set the Virtual display to the same size as your
window.

For a multiple desktop problem, go into .fvwm2rc and change the virtual
desktop size from NxN (ie. 2x3, 3x3, etc) to 1x1.  That should cure
that.

Quote:>  thanx.
>  Duckers.

Mike
Still a newbie, but learning...

1. no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

Hi,

I have set up X in Slackware to run in the 800x600 resolution
with no virtual desktop. However when I start X windows, the
desktop is still a little bit bigger than the monitor screen.

It seems that this is not the virtual desktop problem because
the desktop is only *slightly* bigger than the screen, and
there is only one virtual panel available.
The problem disapears when I swith to higher resolution.

What may be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. HELP: Read-only filesystem!!

3. X-windows programs are too big to fit the screen

4. help with DMA driver

5. no virtual desktop, still the desktop bigger than the screen

6. test

7. How do you make desktop fit on the screen at once?

8. Pop server for virtual pop accounts

9. Desktop doesnt fit into screen

10. Desktop doesn't fit screen...

11. X windows virtual desktop too big.