What prg animates the icons on an X desktop?

What prg animates the icons on an X desktop?

Post by Tim Willia » Sat, 31 Dec 1994 23:49:12

In the computer room here at Georgia State we have a SGI Workstation
running some type of X desktop with icons and things. When you
click on the icons they roll out at you in 3D and turn to the app
or Window you are opening. Can someone tell me what program this is
and if it is available to run under XFree86. If it can run on a 486.
It is licensed. Who makes it . Where can I get it? Thanks.

-Tim

****Tim Williams***********************************
****Georgia State University***********************
****3......2......1...BAM!!!!!*********************
****No disclaimer needed I take full resposibility*

Post by Tim Jon » Mon, 02 Jan 1995 15:07:02

: In the computer room here at Georgia State we have a SGI Workstation
: running some type of X desktop with icons and things. When you
: click on the icons they roll out at you in 3D and turn to the app
: or Window you are opening. Can someone tell me what program this is
: and if it is available to run under XFree86. If it can run on a 486.
: It is licensed. Who makes it . Where can I get it? Thanks.

Tim,

That's part of what makes a silly graphics machine silly!  What you are
seeing is part of the Silicon Graphics X extensions.  I don't know if they
are available or portable, but would think that they were a pretty tightly
guarded extension.

This is not to say that someone won't (or hasn't) released a look-alike item
for the XFree environment; I'm just responding to what you're seeing on the
SGI.

Tim

Post by Tor Arnts » Tue, 03 Jan 1995 04:29:19

>+---------------

>| : click on the icons they roll out at you in 3D and turn to the app
>| : or Window you are opening. Can someone tell me what program this is
>|
>| That's part of what makes a silly graphics machine silly!  What you are
>| seeing is part of the Silicon Graphics X extensions.  I don't know if they
>| are available or portable, but would think that they were a pretty tightly
>| guarded extension.
>+------------->8

>It's not an X "extension" per se (like shaped windows, DPS, PEX, etc.); icons
>are handled by the window manager, which on an SGI is SGI's proprietary 4dwm.
>It's 4dwm that is doing the animation.

Hmm, I believe what the original poster has seen is the 'buttonfly' demo,
which is a standalone menu/program launcher tool.
It doesn't really have anything to do with the 4dwm window manager, it's just
that it needs SGI's GL to run.  If someone wrote a dgld daemon (distributed
Graphics Library server) that could talk gl with an SGI box, and display X on
your Linux box, then you could see buttonfly wrap the buttons on your screen too
(but quite slowly, I guess).

Tor

---
---

1. newbie: change icons from desktop prg's

Hello,

how can i change an icon from a link of a linux kde-prg ?
On some prg's i can klick in the prferences of it on the icon
and change it, some (my importent ones) not.

Sven

2. S3 Savage 4 (by sparkle)

3. Desktop icons in single desktop only?

4. Disable VRFY & EXPN in Netscape

5. animating xpm icons

6. sblive "insmod joystick" problem:

7. KDE Animated folder icon question

8. read a kmail email

9. Irritating animated icons in Konqueror

10. Animated icons

11. Animated icons, How?

12. Animated and color icons ?

13. animated icons