Writing a new mouse driver

Post by Geoff Tayl » Sat, 24 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
I have a Boeder 3-button mouse, and the middle button doesn't work under
XFree86.  I've tried the different mouse configs (ms, logitech, etc) and
options (chorded midlle etc) but so far I've had no joy.

What I'd like to know now is: is there an easy way to implement a new mouse
type under XFree86?  Has anyone done this with any success?  Is it worth
the effort?

Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

                        Geoff

Writing a new mouse driver

Post by Lou Sortm » Mon, 26 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>I have a Boeder 3-button mouse, and the middle button doesn't work under
>XFree86.  I've tried the different mouse configs (ms, logitech, etc) and
>options (chorded midlle etc) but so far I've had no joy.

>What I'd like to know now is: is there an easy way to implement a new mouse
>type under XFree86?  Has anyone done this with any success?  Is it worth
>the effort?

First off, start with gpm.  That way, your work will also apply in text mode.
I modified gpm to grok the tapping feature of my ALPS GlidePoint mouse.
My changes ended up getting folded into the official distribution of gpm.

Writing a new mouse driver

Post by Raul SILVE » Tue, 27 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,
: I have a Boeder 3-button mouse, and the middle button doesn't work under
: XFree86.  I've tried the different mouse configs (ms, logitech, etc) and
: options (chorded midlle etc) but so far I've had no joy.

: What I'd like to know now is: is there an easy way to implement a new mouse
: type under XFree86?  Has anyone done this with any success?  Is it worth
: the effort?

: Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

:                       Geoff

Hi!

Maybe you should try gpm and see if it works for you. Basically, if
you know what is the binary protocol used by your mouse, then you can
code it into gpm (it is not a big deal). I tried it with my mouse but
had no luck, since it seems that the behavior of the middle button is
erratic.

If you have information on the protocol used by your mouse, please let
me know, and maybe I can help you build the driver.

Have fun!
Raul Silvera M.   | M.Sc. Student at  |See my web page: