Help: X11R6 OLVWM won't start

Post by Brian Fri » Sat, 22 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to get X11R6 to run with the SVGA and S3 servers (two different
boxes) to run with the Slackware 2.1 (kernal 1.1.54) distribution.

I configured XF86Config file by hand (like I did for X11R5) and fvwm works
fine. If I start OLWM or OLVWM from the command line I get the following
message:

Quote:>olwm: Warning: 'Unknown' is invalid locale for the LC_CTYPE category,
>               using 'C' locale for the command line parsing.
>olwm: cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)

Can anyone out there interpret this error for me or give me some suggestions
as to how I can fix it?

--
/************************************************************
| Brian Fritz                |  Talent does what it can,    |

Help: X11R6 OLVWM won't start

Post by Yon » Fri, 28 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get X11R6 to run with the SVGA and S3 servers (two different
>boxes) to run with the Slackware 2.1 (kernal 1.1.54) distribution.

>I configured XF86Config file by hand (like I did for X11R5) and fvwm works
>fine. If I start OLWM or OLVWM from the command line I get the following
>message:

>>olwm: Warning: 'Unknown' is invalid locale for the LC_CTYPE category,
>>               using 'C' locale for the command line parsing.
>>olwm: cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)

>Can anyone out there interpret this error for me or give me some suggestions
>as to how I can fix it?

        I am having exactly the same problem. Can someone give me a hint
also? Thanks.

Help: X11R6 OLVWM won't start

Post by phys.. » Tue, 02 May 1995 04:00:00

>>I'm trying to get X11R6 to run with the SVGA and S3 servers (two different
>>fine. If I start OLWM or OLVWM from the command line I get the following
>>message:

>>>olwm: Warning: 'Unknown' is invalid locale for the LC_CTYPE category,
>>>               using 'C' locale for the command line parsing.
>>>olwm: cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)
>    I am having exactly the same problem. Can someone give me a hint
> also? Thanks.

You must start olwm or olvwm typing openwin
at the text console,
(openwin is a shell script)
the same way you start fvwm with startx.

Am I wrong or you tried to start directly ol(v)wm
(directly from the text console) ? :-)

Ryurick Hristev

1. X11R6 build on linux: won't; help!

I've followed all of the instructions the best
I can, and hacked around and mucked a lot; but
I'm not getting anywhere. Any help would be
appreciated.

I am trying to build X11R6 on an up to date
version of Linux, gcc, and all that. I've applied
all three public patches to the source tree (xc).

I seem to be running into a number of problems.
The first...

I do a "make World" and get:

--------->
making Makefiles in lib/X11...
        mv Makefile Makefile.bak
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/X11R6/xc/lib/X11'
Makefile:673: *** commands commence before first target.  Stop.
----------------->

I start working on this problem, and I get a whole slew of
problems all concerned with the shared library build particular
to Linux.

I can seem to find no documentation to help me.

Really, any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bruce Parkin

---

2. 2.4.12-ac4 10Mbit NE2k interrupt load kills p166

3. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled

4. Why this awk program in csh shell script doesnot work?

5. X won't start: can't open default font 'fixed'

6. The Xmame project

7. x-win won't start with eth0 enabled!

8. Booting OS/2 and Solaris 2.4 X86?

9. 'Server already active for display 0' - won't start

10. X won't start "could not find font 'fixed'"

11. grahical login program tanks, system won't start, help!

12. Xwindows won't start.....help needed

13. Help! PostgreSQL Won't Start