Speeding up dial-in X performance

Post by Robert Ha » Sun, 23 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi there

I have Linux up and running at home and use a V34 (28.8) modem to hook
back into my machines at work. I can sit at home happily running X apps
off my servers at work, with the display set to my home machine.

I have noticed that whilst I sit there doing nothing, the modem lights
flash  about once a second - I presume this is something to do with X.
Naturally, X is not as zippy over a dial up link as a direct ethernet
conection.

However, I seem to remember reading about a way to speed up dial-in X
performance but I can't find any referencec to this.

Can someone give me a pointer to this?

Many thanks,

--
---

Voice: +61 (0)91 72 0429                     Fax:   +61 (0)91 72 3560
Hedland College, PMB 1, South Hedland WA 6722 Australia

Post by David Broo » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I have noticed that whilst I sit there doing nothing, the modem lights
>flash  about once a second - I presume this is something to do with X.

Are you running an xclock with a second hand?  Text window of some kind
with a flashing cursor?
--

X Consortium                     <URL:http://www.x.org/people/dbrooks/>
Commit planned giving and daily acts of compassion.

Post by Eric S Rom » Wed, 26 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >I have noticed that whilst I sit there doing nothing, the modem lights
: >flash  about once a second - I presume this is something to do with X.

: Are you running an xclock with a second hand?  Text window of some kind
: with a flashing cursor?

No, I have the same problem.  I don't think he is.  I've connected at 2400
baud and had the same problem.  It has to do with the communications between
the X client and server.  When I upgraded to a 14.4 it took just as long to
start up a client as it did at 2400, the only difference was the
refreshing.  (I got really bored one day so I started up a remote Motif and
Mosaic over a 2400 baud line... :)

                Eric Roman

Speeding up dial-in X performance

Post by Steve June » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Since X11R6, there is something called LBX.  I do not know much
about it but you can look in the other X group.

sj

: [ this was also posted ]

: >Date: 22 Jul 1995 12:13:04 +0800

: >However, I seem to remember reading about a way to speed up dial-in X
: >performance but I can't find any referencec to this.

: >Can someone give me a pointer to this?

: The only thing I've heard of is CSLIP (compressed SLIP), which my SLIP
: provider does not support.  If you think X is bad at 28.8, it's a good
: thing you aren't using 14.4.  :-)

: tw

: --

: Well, Bust My Britches!  Eggs Almondine and a Bottle of Beaujolais!

Speeding up dial-in X performance

Post by Robert Andrew Rya » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.x: 22-Jul-95 Speeding up dial-in X

Quote:> I have Linux up and running at home and use a V34 (28.8) modem to hook
> back into my machines at work. I can sit at home happily running X apps
> off my servers at work, with the display set to my home machine.

I assume you are using SLIP or PPP.

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.x: 22-Jul-95 Speeding up dial-in X

Quote:> I have noticed that whilst I sit there doing nothing, the modem lights
> flash  about once a second - I presume this is something to do with X.
> Naturally, X is not as zippy over a dial up link as a direct ethernet

conection.

This may be caused 'keepalives', signals sent periodically to verify the
connection is still up.  It could also be some  other normal network
traffic.  (Perhaps a UDP broadcast...)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.x: 22-Jul-95 Speeding up dial-in X

Quote:> However, I seem to remember reading about a way to speed up dial-in X
> performance but I can't find any referencec to this.

LBX is in the works, and may be usable by now.  Other options include
Term and SXPC.  Term replaces SLIP or PPP as the protocol used over the
modem, and offers it's own compression.  SXPC is a simple X protocol
compressor I wrote.  SXPC can be used in conjunction with Term (<2.0)
compression or modem compression. ftp:atk.cs.cmu.edu:sxpc-1.4.shar.Z.
Also available there is sxpc.critique, a comparison between straight
V.42bis compression, sxpc compression, Term compression and various
combinations thereof.

-Rob Ryan
sxpc author

Speeding up dial-in X performance

Post by Robert Andrew Rya » Thu, 27 Jul 1995 04:00:00

A couple general tips for speeding application startup under X:

Use as few fonts as possible.

Minimize the number and size of resources kept loaded on the display
with xrdb.  Instead use resource files at the client side.  (e.g. set
XENVIRONMENT to a file with the desired resources)  See xprop -root
RESOURCE_MANAGER to see what resources are loaded on the screen.

To improve interactive performance:
If using a modem with compression and error correction try turning off
error correction and using a software compression mechanism. (such as
SXPC or TERM.)  It may help.

-Rob Ryan
sxpc author

Speeding up dial-in X performance

Post by tim wern » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[ this was also posted ]

Quote:>LBX is in the works, and may be usable by now.  Other options include
>Term and SXPC.  Term replaces SLIP or PPP as the protocol used over the
>modem, and offers it's own compression.

What does this mean?  I have SLIP.  Does my SLIP provider have to do
anything different if I want to use Term?  If not, how do I make the
switch?

Quote:>SXPC is a simple X protocol
>compressor I wrote.  SXPC can be used in conjunction with Term (<2.0)
>compression or modem compression. ftp:atk.cs.cmu.edu:sxpc-1.4.shar.Z.
>Also available there is sxpc.critique, a comparison between straight
>V.42bis compression, sxpc compression, Term compression and various
>combinations thereof.

Again, if my SLIP provider doesn't have to do anything different, what
do I have to do to use SXPC?

thanks,
tw
--

Post by Stoyan Kendero » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>[ this was also posted ]

>>Date: 22 Jul 1995 12:13:04 +0800

>>However, I seem to remember reading about a way to speed up dial-in X
>>performance but I can't find any referencec to this.

>>Can someone give me a pointer to this?

>The only thing I've heard of is CSLIP (compressed SLIP), which my SLIP
>provider does not support.  If you think X is bad at 28.8, it's a good
>thing you aren't using 14.4.  :-)

>tw

>--

>Well, Bust My Britches!  Eggs Almondine and a Bottle of Beaujolais!

  Hi Robert,

from what I remember having read in the source tree of the X11R6 distribution
is the ALPHA revision of the LBX (Low Bandwidth X support) code. It doesn't
get linked in by default, but after studying the config details you will
certainly figure out how to enable the corresponding switch (define).

   The design goal of LBX was to provide reasonable performance for X
applications utilizing 14400 modem connection...This`d be what you are
looking for I suppose :)

--
Stoyan Kenderov                        /
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH      \/          phone: +49 721 9652 220

D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany                       http://www.xlink.net/~kenderov

1. Matching getty speed to dial-in speed

I have a US Robotics modem attached to an RS/6000.  People dialing in
do so at 9600, 2400, and 1200 baud.  How do I tell getty to do the right
thing?

If there isn't a way to get getty to cycle line speeds, I was thinking of
writing a program which would read the connection codes from the modem and
then execing getty with the proper args.  The problem is I can't figure how
to open the port since it seems to be modem controlled.  I know it can
be done since cu does it.

Any clues?  Thanks.
Gaylord

2. unable to re-configure an Ultra-60 (Solaris) after running sys-unconfig

3. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

4. Best config for Logitech MouseMan+?

5. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

6. Questions about IPFW, and NATD

7. Dial-in Speeds above 9600???

8. Network Assistance!

9. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

10. HELP: SunOS and 28800 modem speed on dial-in

11. dial ins

12. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100