The 15 Minute load

Post by Petri T Suomine » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me why it would take up to 15 minutes for the web brousers
> to load? No matter which one I try, (netscape, Mosaic, Arena) all of them
> start the harddrive action, which runs for about 30 seconds then it stops
> and the computer just sits there doing nothing, like being locked up, for
> about 10 - 12 minutes then the HD action starts up again and after about a
> minute the browser pops up on the screen and is ready to go.

> After finally loading and coming up on the screen, they all work great.
> I have 486/40 with 8 megs ram and 12 meg swap, using Linux 1.2.13.

> Anyone have any clues to this one?

> Thanks,
> Larry

Yes, it's your memory which simply isn't enough. 8 Mb is the bare minimum to
drive the X alone.

Buy more memory, adding your swap to around 20 Mb might also help a little.

Petri Suominen Helsinki Finland

* jackpot.clinet.fi is powered by Linux, the choice of a GNU generation *

The 15 Minute load

Post by kasperow.. » Thu, 14 Mar 1996 04:00:00

 | > Can anyone tell me why it would take up to 15 minutes for the web brousers
 | > to load? No matter which one I try, (netscape, Mosaic, Arena) all of them
 | > start the harddrive action, which runs for about 30 seconds then it stops
 | > and the computer just sits there doing nothing, like being locked up, for
 | > about 10 - 12 minutes then the HD action starts up again and after about a
 | > minute the browser pops up on the screen and is ready to go.
 | >
 | > After finally loading and coming up on the screen, they all work great.
 | > I have 486/40 with 8 megs ram and 12 meg swap, using Linux 1.2.13.
 | >
 | > Anyone have any clues to this one?
 | >
 | > Thanks,
 | > Larry
 |
 |
 | Yes, it's your memory which simply isn't enough. 8 Mb is the bare minimum to
 | drive the X alone.
 |
 | Buy more memory, adding your swap to around 20 Mb might also help a little.

I doubt RAM is the problem.  I run on a 386 with 8M bytes RAM, and
Netscape 2.0 takes about 1 minute to become usable.

The behavior larry wyble describes is similar to the problem I used to
have before I changed my X font path.

--
Rich Kasperowski                   Cambridge, MA, USA

1. Magic 15 minutes?

I've got Slackware 1.1.2 installed, and upgraded the kernel to 1.0.
(I did keep a pl14 kernel installed and bootable with LILO).

If I boot the pl14 kernel, things are very reliable.

If I boot the 1.0 kernel, IF THE SYSTEM MAKES IT PAST THE FIRST 15
MINUTES, it seems to be stable (5 days 17 hours before I rebooted it
last time...)

The problem is that first magic 15 minutes...  If I do nothing, the
system will crash within 5 minutes.  If I log on as root, it will
crash almost immediately upon doing anything.  If I log on as a user,
it's hit and miss.  Typically, it's taken 5-6 attempts to get the
system running long enough to pass the 15 minute threshold.  This
means that booting the system typically takes over an hour if I want
to run 1.0, since e2fsck on a 1.2G disk takes a while... :(

I'm running an AMD 386DX/40 with a 387, 20 Meg of RAM, a 1.2G SCSI
disk, 4 com ports (3 modems and a mouse), 2 parallel ports (but only 1
printer), a 64 Meg swap partition, a SCSI tape drive, and a Mitsumi
CD-ROM.

Does anyone have any ideas why the first 15 minutes are so
critical!?!?

You can post here, or e-mail direct and I'll post a summary.

Jon
--

PGP V2 - 22A829/40 DA 9E 8E C0 A1 59 B2  46 3B 73 81 2B 7B 83 1F
Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.

2. Free UNIX shell Access thru telnet

3. telnet server send packet every 15 minutes

4. VT220 termcap...

5. Internal Zip - 15 minutes to eject ???

6. Kernel 2.4.0 test 11

7. password protecting the screen after 15 minutes

8. Kernel change summary 1.1.77 -> 1.1.78

9. Telnet terminates after 15 minutes of inactivity.

10. Diald dials out every 15 minutes

11. 10-15 minute delay loggin in

12. HINT: How to install GNU on Sun Solaris in 15 minutes

13. Latest SOLARIS News stories - Update every 15 minutes and FREE.