RedHat Metro-X vs. XFree86

Post by Mark E. J. Newm » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Just bought a copy of RedHat 3.0.3 for my PC and was fully intending
to install XFree86, which should work just fine with my STB graphics
card.  But the RedHat arrived with another X server as well - a
commercial product called Metro-X which I'm not familiar with.  Can
anyone who has experience with this thing tell me what its advantages
or disadvantages are compared with XFree86?  Is it totally cool, or
should I just ignore it?

Mark.

--

RedHat Metro-X vs. XFree86

Post by Jeffrey A. McClure, Jr » Mon, 01 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Metro-X has a great configuration utility, and supports MANY video boards.
Unfortunatley for me, it is slower on my ATI Graphics Ultra Pro.  Howerver,
Metro-X informed me that they are faster than XFree86 newer video boards.

RedHat Metro-X vs. XFree86

Post by Joven Chiew S » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi, can U advise me of how to configure my X-Server using IBM 2248
monitor?

My monitor hor.freq is 30-48khz & ver.freq of 50-90hz. I can only use
vga16 running on 640x480. When I use mach64 driver, I encounter a blank
screen.

The Auto-Probe recognise the card but probe with highest clock of 28.3
only.

I'm using Slackware version 3.0, Redhat distribution does not help also..

Joven, Singapore