Mouse doesn't work after installing XFree86 4.1

Mouse doesn't work after installing XFree86 4.1

Post by Jame » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
   I have just installed SuSE linux 7.0 and once installed you have the
option of installing XFree86 4.1.
   I selected yes and after a few seconds the graphical configuration tool
loaded.
   I set up my system accordingly, but when I finished and X restarted I
found that even though the cursor was present it would not move at all.
   Is this a common problem? How can I restart linux in text mode so that I
can try running XFree86 -configure or something like that?
   As a matter of interest the mouse worked fine when I was configuring
and testing XFree86 4.1 It's just since linux restarted after the install
that it stopped.
   Does anyone have any suggestions?
   Sincerely.
              JL.

Post by Anita Lew » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>   I have just installed SuSE linux 7.0 and once installed you have the
>option of installing XFree86 4.1.
>   I selected yes and after a few seconds the graphical configuration tool
>loaded.
>   I set up my system accordingly, but when I finished and X restarted I
>found that even though the cursor was present it would not move at all.
>   Is this a common problem? How can I restart linux in text mode so that I
>can try running XFree86 -configure or something like that?
>   As a matter of interest the mouse worked fine when I was configuring
>and testing XFree86 4.1 It's just since linux restarted after the install
>that it stopped.
>   Does anyone have any suggestions?
>   Sincerely.
>              JL.

You can restart linux in text mode by doing 'linux 3' at the LILO prompt.

Anita

1. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.

We have a problem.

We run NIS on our public-access system.  (This in itself is not quite
the problem.  B^>)

We run a network of Sun 3s with 4.1.1 and 4.1.1U_1.

We can't get passwd to work correctly to change the NIS password (ie
setting a non-local password).

Tracing yppasswdd to see what's happening, with the 4.1.1U_1 version
the program opens the passwd file twice when the second time it should
have opened the adjunct file, so it thinks the quoted old password is
bad and refuses to store the new one.

Tracing the 4.1.1 version (and I've even tried the 4.1 version),
yppasswdd gets a SIGSEGV a little after creating the adjunct ptmp file,
so it doesn't get to create the new entry and subsequent attempts to
set passwords inform us that the password file is `busy' (the .ptmp
file is there albeit size zero).

Can we fix this?

Damon

2. q: GSI EIDE Interface and Linux

3. Xfree86 4.1 doesn't restore text console

4. Help with ET4000/w32p Rev D (PCI)

5. Middle mouse button doesn't work; XFree86 breaks VGA font

6. Parallel over usb problems with RH 8.0

7. renice doesn't work in AIX 4.1

8. USB changes for 2.5.40

9. fflush doesn't work on SunOS 4.1 ?

10. PPPD and Redhat 4.1 - doesn't work with digital phone lines?

11. RedHat 4.1 doesn't see XJ10BT PCMCIA network card for ftp install

12. Tripwire 1.3.1 port doesn't install on 4.1 stable!!!!!!

13. Redhat 4.1, Compaq LTE 5000 - can't get mouse working under X