Linux, X-Free 3, Cirrus Logic and linear addressing

Linux, X-Free 3, Cirrus Logic and linear addressing

Post by Alessandro Tiber » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

Hi!

        I'm experiencing a problem: I succesfully configurated X Free for
using with my CirrusLogic 5426 (ISA Bus, 1MB) and my Sony CPD1430. It
all perfectly works so Iwas finding out how to use X in more than 8
bpp. I reed the doc which says to add a the "linear" option and to set
the base memory address at "0x0e00000" (or something like that). Even
if my system has got less than 14MB as required X doesn't works: it
boots up, i can view the cursor but: 1) the display looks dirty (not
as it must appear) 2) the system ignores the inputs (or perhaps he is
not able to display what it should). This happens even if I choose to
start X at 8bpp with linear addressing enabled. What to do?

Thanks! Alessandro Tiberti
byebye, Alessandro.

Linux, X-Free 3, Cirrus Logic and linear addressing

Post by Roy Wrig » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

+Hi!
+
+       I'm experiencing a problem: I succesfully configurated X Free for
+using with my CirrusLogic 5426 (ISA Bus, 1MB) and my Sony CPD1430. It
+all perfectly works so Iwas finding out how to use X in more than 8
+bpp. I reed the doc which says to add a the "linear" option and to set
+the base memory address at "0x0e00000" (or something like that). Even
+if my system has got less than 14MB as required X doesn't works: it
+boots up, i can view the cursor but: 1) the display looks dirty (not
+as it must appear) 2) the system ignores the inputs (or perhaps he is
+not able to display what it should). This happens even if I choose to
+start X at 8bpp with linear addressing enabled. What to do?

Same problem on a Orchid Kelvin 64 (5434 1MB ISA) using Walnut Creeks'
Slackware 2.2 distribution.  BTW, Orchid's documentation did not specify where
the frame buffer is at, so 0x0e00000 is a guess (apparently wrong).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Roy

Texas Instruments   voice:214-575-6691  #include <std-disclaimer>
"I can't quite make a PC sing, but roll over and play dead is easy!"

Post by Gareth Blad » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

>Hi!
>    I'm experiencing a problem: I succesfully configurated X Free for
>using with my CirrusLogic 5426 (ISA Bus, 1MB) and my Sony CPD1430. It
>all perfectly works so Iwas finding out how to use X in more than 8
>bpp. I reed the doc which says to add a the "linear" option and to set
>the base memory address at "0x0e00000" (or something like that). Even
>if my system has got less than 14MB as required X doesn't works: it
>boots up, i can view the cursor but: 1) the display looks dirty (not
>as it must appear) 2) the system ignores the inputs (or perhaps he is
>not able to display what it should). This happens even if I choose to
>start X at 8bpp with linear addressing enabled. What to do?
>Thanks! Alessandro Tiberti
>byebye, Alessandro.

This sounds to me that the setting of the memory address is wrong. This
address can vary and there are a few values you can try. I have enclosed my
relevent configuration settings for my 5434 based card.

DON'T use linear addressing in 8 bit mode as at present the accelerated
features are not support in linear mode. You are therefore slowing your system
down for no reason. Linear addressing is required for higher colour modes
though.

I found I also had to use the 'sw_cursor' aswell otherwise the cursor would
not appear. There are also a few other options that you can set to slow
particular things down if you get minor screen corruption.

Section         "Device"
Identifier      "5436"
membase         0x80000000
#Chipset        "clgd5434"
Clocks          31.5 36.1 41.1 40 45.1 49.9 65.0 72.2 75.0  # limit to no. of clocks
in higher bpp modes. So shjorten so that it reads in relevent clocks
#Clocks         25.2 28.3 41.1 36.1 31.5 40 45.1 49.9 65.0 72.2 75.0 80.0 85.2
#
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Driver  "svga"
Device  "5436"
Monitor "15B"
Subsection "Display"
        Depth   8
        Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        Virtual 1024 768
Endsubsection
Subsection "Display"
        Depth   16
        Modes   "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        Virtual 1024 768
        Option  "linear"
        option  "sw_cursor"
EndSubsection
Subsection "Display"
        Depth   32
        Modes   "800x600l" "640x480"
        Virtual 800 600
        Option  "linear"
        Option  "sw_cursor"
EndSubsection
EndSection

Homepage:      http://www.tcp.co.uk/~blades

1. Cirrus Logic GD5428 and linear addressing...

I have a Cirrus Logic GD5428, and want to use 16bpp with the XFree86
SVGA server.  However, in order to do this, linear addressing must be
enabled.  Unfortunately, I have 52 megabytes of RAM, and everything I've
read says that linear addressing is "impossible" with more than 14
megabytes. Does anyone know of a potential workaround?  Alternately,
does the Metro-X server included with the commercial version of Red Hat
Linux require that linear addressing be enabled?  This was never a
problem with MS Windows... :-(

2. First FreeBSD issues

3. Cirrus Logic GL5428 & linear addressing

4. Netscape 3.5.1 w/SSL breaks Web Publish applet.

5. PCI Cirrus Logic 5434 - need linear decode address

6. ipchains firewall script - problems

7. Cirrus Logic gd5428 linear frame buffer address for Xfree86

8. Netscape Plug-Ins

9. PCI Cirrus Logic 5434 - need linear decode address

10. Cirrus Logic "Linear" addressing and membase

11. Linear addressing on Cirrus 5434

12. linear addressing cirrus 5434

13. Linear addressing on Cirrus video card