How to install new apps?

Post by Ke » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello I'm still rather new to Linux and was hoping someone could lend
a hand at how to install new apps. I downloadthem fine as well as un
tarring and gunzipping them but then I am lost. If you could spare the
time email me please.

Thank you very much
Ken

How to install new apps?

Post by thomas smit » Thu, 11 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hello I'm still rather new to Linux and was hoping someone could lend
> a hand at how to install new apps. I downloadthem fine as well as un
> tarring and gunzipping them but then I am lost. If you could spare the
> time email me please.

> Thank you very much
> Ken

 After you do what you did, you generally have to 'make' the
installation...compiling the .c source files into a binary.
You need some books on UNIX. There's also a relevant doc you
might try in the  http://www.redhat.com   site, they have an
area called RedHat Tips, of which one is called 'Compiling
Software Tips' ..
   Also, THE single most important thing to do once you
gunzip/detar an app, is to READ the provide Documentation
that is given...the README's, the text files called
'INSTALL', README.1st,  README.linux, etc..etc....
--T--