XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Aaron E. Klem » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:26:45

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my pm3s.
 When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

Thanks for any help you send my way.

ak

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Rahul Dha » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:31:54

Quote:> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my pm3s.
>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

perhaps the output is set to decode the mp3 into a wav files instead of
outputting it as sound.  check the options section

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Aaron E. Klem » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:35:11

hmm, that doesn't seem to be it. Well, I'll keep trying.  Thanks.

ak

>> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my
>> pm3s.
>>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
>> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

>> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under
>> gnome.

> perhaps the output is set to decode the mp3 into a wav files instead of
> outputting it as sound.  check the options section

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by TheMartia » Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:15:59

It did that to me for a while, I hit it with the big stick.

rm ~/.xmms

then run it and reconfigure. worked for me.

David
Sydney, Australia

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my
> pm3s.
>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

> Thanks for any help you send my way.

> ak

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Richard Krus » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 06:35:11

Quote:> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my pm3s.
>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?
> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

I don't want to be offensive, but did you check the sound and mixer?

--
  Richard Krushelnitskiy   "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark

  http://rkrush.cjb.net           there."                -- Charles Darwin

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Br8knitOF » Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:57:07

> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my pm3s.
>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

> Thanks for any help you send my way.

> ak

I can reproduce the exact same symptoms when I attempt to play mp3's off of
the cd that I created (130 mp3's- whooo-hooo!), and I haven't mounted the
cd-rom drive yet.  It will successfully load the play list (cached, I
assume), and will FLY through the playlist without playing squat!

Once I mount the cd-rom drive containing the mp3's, it's all good.

Hope this helps...
//Todd

XMMS--I hope you can help!

Post by Florian Schaefe » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:02:32

>> Hi, I was wondering if anyone has this problem:  XMMS won't play my pm3s.
>>  When I hit play, it fast forwards through the song without any sound
>> coming out?  Does anyone know what may be wrong?

>> I am using RH7 2.2.16 Kernel and the latest version of xmms under gnome.

>> Thanks for any help you send my way.

>> ak
> I can reproduce the exact same symptoms when I attempt to play mp3's off of
> the cd that I created (130 mp3's- whooo-hooo!), and I haven't mounted the
> cd-rom drive yet.  It will successfully load the play list (cached, I
> assume), and will FLY through the playlist without playing squat!

This behaviour is not surprising. Xmms has the old playlist in his
~/.xmms directory and loads it. Now it picks the first file, but it
is not there (as you have _not_ mounted the cd-rom drive) and so it
picks the next and the next and the next ...

Quote:> Once I mount the cd-rom drive containing the mp3's, it's all good.

Why should there be a problem? The files are now all there and xmms
plays them.

Ciao
Florian

1. Hoping against hope: RH on a Toshiba 2520 CDS

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a Toshiba Satellite 2520 CDS.  I have been all
over the linuxlaptop.net site and as many others as I could find.  I know
that RH can be installed on this system, but the big issue is the modem.
I must have the modem working, as it will be my only system very soon.

The websites I've read seem to say that this machine's modem will not
work in Linux.  However, a lot of those lists are a bit old, so I'm
wondering if anyone here has ever gotten it to work on this model, or
ever heard of it working.

I am hoping that v7.3 may have better support for these winmodems, but
would like to hear back from anyone on this group.  Otherwise I am going
to be stuck in MicroSlop land until I can scrape the dough together to
get a new computer, a prospect that has me shaking in my boots.

TIA,

Jean-Paul
--
-------
I have found the missing link between ape and human: it is us.

(to reply, remove the whiterabbit)

2. ifup ppp0

3. XMMS-cdread working, but XMMS plays CD at max speed.

4. SCSI device priorities

5. Xmms-KDE (xmms-kde-3.0-88)

6. Remote X displays

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. pppd problem, well actually chat problem

9. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter

10. CGI: apache canned response

11. For those of you tired of canned distributions...

12. Canned "ping"