Can't compile jpeg/png for GIMP

Post by Kal N » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Can't seem to get jpeg-support to compile in gimp

I have libjpeg.so.6a* in /usr/local/lib
       jpeglib.h in /usr/local/include
(These are manually copied over since the hacked makefile for
libjpeg doesn't move the files.)

tried "./configure --with-libjpeg="/usr/local""

tried modifying the makefile in plug-ins/ (as suggested in
the developer's faq)

still configure reports:
checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Please send copies to
kal at pobox dot org dot sg
so that I can receive the help sooner. Much thanks in advance.
(Can't sleep for few days already)

Regards,
Kal

Post by Thomas Maier Komo » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Can't seem to get jpeg-support to compile in gimp

> I have libjpeg.so.6a* in /usr/local/lib
>        jpeglib.h in /usr/local/include
> (These are manually copied over since the hacked makefile for
> libjpeg doesn't move the files.)

> tried "./configure --with-libjpeg="/usr/local""

> tried modifying the makefile in plug-ins/ (as suggested in
> the developer's faq)

> still configure reports:
> checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
> configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

> Any suggestion will be appreciated. Please send copies to
> kal at pobox dot org dot sg
> so that I can receive the help sooner. Much thanks in advance.
> (Can't sleep for few days already)

> Regards,
> Kal

did you remove the file config.cache before rerunning configure???

Can't compile jpeg/png for GIMP

Post by Kal N » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > did you remove the file config.cache before rerunning configure???

Everytime. Never worked.

Quote:> Thomas probably has the right answer.  But if not, here are some
> other things to check:

> (1) the standard IJG distribution builds a static library (libjpeg.a)
> not a shared library (libjpeg.so).  I dunno where you got a version of
> libjpeg configured to build as .so, but it wasn't from IJG.  Perhaps
> gimp is looking for libjpeg.a and not finding it.

Apparently somebody hacked your jpegsrc Makefile - and he seems pretty
proud of it... the patch is available at ftp.gimp.org, and I was under
the impression that GIMP wants a .so file.

Quote:> (2) in addition to jpeglib.h you need to have installed jconfig.h,
> jmorecfg.h, and jerror.h into /usr/local/include.

I'm afraid all these described above did not work.

It still says (with muh authority)...

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

Can somebody who succeeded in installing 0.99.15 please take pity and
let me know of the precise steps they took in making jpeg plug-in
compile?

Even better... will the guy(s) responsible for the configure script
take pity and let me know what exactly was it (the script) looking for
- I'll do ANYTHING to appease it!

"What?! What does it want? *?"

Regards,
Kal
p.s. please send a copy to kal at pobox dot org dot sg - please.

Quote:>                         regards, tom lane

Post by Trent Piep » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> (1) the standard IJG distribution builds a static library (libjpeg.a)
>> not a shared library (libjpeg.so).  I dunno where you got a version of
>> libjpeg configured to build as .so, but it wasn't from IJG.  Perhaps
>> gimp is looking for libjpeg.a and not finding it.

>Apparently somebody hacked your jpegsrc Makefile - and he seems pretty
>proud of it... the patch is available at ftp.gimp.org, and I was under
>the impression that GIMP wants a .so file.

It doesn't matter, .a or .so for GIMP.  I modified my jpeg makefile to make a
.so file, since this saves memory for other apps linked with it.  Make sure
the .so file is installed correctly, with all the correct links.  I found that
often I would have a .a file and an .so file with a missing link (ldconfig
doesn't always make them), and the .a file would get used so I wouldn't notice
something was wrong.

Quote:>> (2) in addition to jpeglib.h you need to have installed jconfig.h,
>> jmorecfg.h, and jerror.h into /usr/local/include.

>I'm afraid all these described above did not work.

>It still says (with muh authority)...

>checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
>configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

Make sure you have the right version.  I had an older version and got some
errors like this.  Then make sure that gcc is using this new version, you
might have a old version sitting around someplace (/usr/lib, /usr/X11/lib,
some .a file, who knows?) that is getting used instead.  If you have locate
working, locate libjpeg should give some hints.

Quote:>Even better... will the guy(s) responsible for the configure script
>take pity and let me know what exactly was it (the script) looking for
>- I'll do ANYTHING to appease it!

What configure scripts do is compile a very small program that tries to use
some function in the library being looked for.  If the program links (it
doesn't have to actually work) then the library must be there.
--
|Gazing up to the breeze of the heavens \ on a quest, meaning, reason  |
|came to be, how it begun \ all alone in the family of the sun         |

Can't compile jpeg/png for GIMP

Post by Eric Pott » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Can't seem to get jpeg-support to compile in gimp

> I have libjpeg.so.6a* in /usr/local/lib
>        jpeglib.h in /usr/local/include
> (These are manually copied over since the hacked makefile for
> libjpeg doesn't move the files.)

> tried "./configure --with-libjpeg="/usr/local""

> tried modifying the makefile in plug-ins/ (as suggested in
> the developer's faq)

> still configure reports:
> checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... (cached) no
> configure: warning: *** JPEG plug-in will not be built ***

I don't know how to solve this problem with the configure script, but I was
able to build the jpeg manually using the instructions in the gimp user FAQ.

http://www.rru.com/~meo/gimp/faq-user.html
--

 *^  / \  \   |  \       When replying to me,  remove the NOSPAM
 / \/   \  \__|   \      from my address.

Post by Kal N » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Make sure you have the right version.  I had an older version and got some
> errors like this.  Then make sure that gcc is using this new version, you
> might have a old version sitting around someplace (/usr/lib, /usr/X11/lib,
> some .a file, who knows?) that is getting used instead.  If you have locate
> working, locate libjpeg should give some hints.

That was exactly my problem! Thank you thank you thank you. I didn't
throw
the old ones away for fear of breaking older stuff, and had thought that
when I say --with-libjpeg="/usr/local" (or specify that in the plug-ins
Makefile) things would have been resolved.

Alas! I was wrong!

Again, thanks.

Kal

Post by Al Ro » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> >> Can't seem to get jpeg-support to compile in gimp

>> > did you remove the file config.cache before rerunning configure???

>> Thomas probably has the right answer.  But if not, here are some
>> other things to check:

I found that I had duplicate libjpeg in /usr/lib /usr/local/lib

by copying the latest in /usr/local/lib into /usr/lib
rm ing the dupes in /usr/local/lib

then ldconfig...

problem resolved ....

Anyone know how to add gif support in Gimp ?

I think I have the right gif package btw....

1. Compiling XView with PNG & JPEG 6

I've got all the libraries.  I've read all the FAQ's.  I've
applied all the patches.  I'm just getting a can't find '-lX11'
library error after I've done everything to the Makefile I can
think of.

        I found the reference to -lX11 in the Makefile, and at the end
of the line added -l/usr/X11R6/lib.  This still doesn't produce
an exectuable.  If anyone's interested, I've got a script of the
compile, but I'm not posting it here for fear of the space it
would take up, and editing it is going to take a while...
        Anybody got any other ideas about the xv source tree and what it
wants to compile?  All comments appreciated!  I've had lots less
problems compiling my own programs...

--
+===============================================================+
  --=>  Chrome, Celestial Mechanic / VRML Explorer / Programmer

2. radius server

3. gimp compilation broken,undefined reference to 'jpeg..'

4. Help with first time slackware install..

5. gimp compilation broken, undefined reference to 'jpeg..'

6. DEPCA ethernet driver multicast bug

7. PNG binaries available - convert GIF images to PNG and PNG <-> PNM

8. Apache + System authentication

9. Gimp: Compiling jpeg plug-in

10. GIMP-0.54 won't load gif or jpeg

11. GIMP can't open/save jpeg

12. progressive jpegs in gimp

13. Gimp 0.99.8 compilation problem w/ jpeg stuff