XFree86 is dead!!

Post by The Hot » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

ok... i installed LINUX and everything went ok.. i also installed
XFree86... I am using Slakware 3.0.  Whenever i try "startx", i get a
problem that says this:
<<Fatal Server Error
Cannot open mouse (no such device)
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unexpected signal 13>>
How can i fix this? I have a PS2 mouse and i tried gpm -k but it said

Thanks in advance!!!!!

XFree86 is dead!!

Post by Roeland Merk » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> ok... i installed LINUX and everything went ok.. i also installed
> XFree86... I am using Slakware 3.0.  Whenever i try "startx", i get a
> problem that says this:
> <<Fatal Server Error
> Cannot open mouse (no such device)
> xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unexpected signal 13>>
> How can i fix this? I have a PS2 mouse and i tried gpm -k but it said

> Thanks in advance!!!!!

I think you should add a line mouse "PS/2" (in section pointer) or
someting like that in your XF86Config.

Additionally try to explicitly kill GPM. Type ps -aux | grep gpm, find
out the process number of gpm and kill it as superuser. Good luck.

Roeland

XFree86 is dead!!

Post by Bryan Whi » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

With Slackware 3.0, ps/2 mouse support is not compiled into the
default kernel. You'll prob'ly need to install the kernel source and
recofingure it for busmouse support.

-Bryan

Just my $.02

Quote:>> XFree86... I am using Slakware 3.0.  Whenever i try "startx", i get a