Aliasing in X ?

Post by Travelle » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I've just recently noticed that the aliases I use under BASH aren't
active in X.  I've been trying to track it down for a few hours now and
haven't gotten very far.  It makes using command line functions almost
unbearable.  Actually, unbearable to the point that I'm telnetting back
to my machine and logging in "remotely (haha)" just to get my aliases.

I doesn't matter if I use xinit or xdm. They just don't work.  Where do
I have to enter my aliases so that I can use them with Xterm?

Thanks - Trav

Aliasing in X ?

Post by Bruce Stephen » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I've just recently noticed that the aliases I use under BASH aren't
> active in X.

Aliases are local to a particular shell process.  They aren't
inherited like environment variables can be.  (Shells can have
variables they don't export, of course.)

Quote:> I doesn't matter if I use xinit or xdm. They just don't work.  Where
> do I have to enter my aliases so that I can use them with Xterm?

What shell is XTerm starting?  What arguments is it passing that
shell?  What files does that shell read when it's called in the way
that XTerm is calling it?  Put your aliases in one of those files.

For example, zsh, <URL:http://www.zsh.org>, reads ~/.zshrc for
interactive shells, and ~/.zshenv for pretty much all shells.  So
~/.zshrc would be an appropriate place for me to stick aliases.

Aliasing in X ?

Post by Sasch » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I've just recently noticed that the aliases I use under BASH aren't
> active in X.  I've been trying to track it down for a few hours now and
> haven't gotten very far.  It makes using command line functions almost
> unbearable.  Actually, unbearable to the point that I'm telnetting back
> to my machine and logging in "remotely (haha)" just to get my aliases.

> I doesn't matter if I use xinit or xdm. They just don't work.  Where do
> I have to enter my aliases so that I can use them with Xterm?

> Thanks - Trav

  Hi,

aliases normally go to ~/.bashrc. If the aliases are there and you still
have trouble, try to start your terminals with the option -ls, which means
login-scripts. That reads the .bashrc and the profiles.

Hope that helped

Sascha

1. aliases, aliases, aliases...

Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone out there would be kind enough to
lend some advice on what the best alias management procedure is
available for distributed mail servers on a WAN with one single
Internet connection.  There has been talk about NIS/NIS+ and rdist.
But how about RCS or maybe others that someone might strongly
recommend.  Any ideas or tips?

Thanks for the help,
John

---------------------
Trident Data Systems

2. Remote Print Server

3. script alias problem - Re: apache alias and script alias problem

4. there are a number of them

5. listing aliases w/o /etc/aliases

6. Solaris 2.4 and Apple LaserWriter Pro

7. SB Live Value...alias char-major-14 is alias'd twice ???

8. Interrupt level 4 not serviced

9. sendmail: unknown member map aliases.aliases

10. gethostbyname() on alias doesn't give other entries with same alias?

11. Aliases not Aliasing

12. Switch map aliases: unknown member map aliases.dns

13. MMDF & alias tables (mailing list) alias.list FORMAT