Howto map USB input devices and mouse buttons to key.

Howto map USB input devices and mouse buttons to key.

Post by Mario Giammarc » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:57:21

Hello,

I am searching but I have not yet found a software that:

-maps usb input devices (joystick, gamepad, etc. etc.) to keys
-maps mouse buttons to keys ( I have a mouse with thumb button I would
like to map it to Meta or Super etc.)
-let me easily config my keyboard.

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Howto map USB input devices and mouse buttons to key.

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:27:38

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:57:21 GMT, Mario Giammarco staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> I am searching but I have not yet found a software that:

"A piece of software" or "a program", not "a software".  (For some
reason, lots of people in Europe and China make this mistake.)

Quote:> -maps usb input devices (joystick, gamepad, etc. etc.) to keys

joy2key , available on freshmeat.net or
http://www.tfn.net/~amstpi/joy2key.html .

Quote:> -maps mouse buttons to keys ( I have a mouse with thumb button I would
> like to map it to Meta or Super etc.)

xbindkeys in combination with xmacroplay , both available on
freshmeat.net , also use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
for message-ID

extensive guide to doing what you need.

Quote:> -let me easily config my keyboard.

EXPN?  What is it that you really want to do with your keyboard?
Remember that many of us are Americans, so we may not be familiar with
any pitfalls associated with accented characters, ModeShift, AltGr, or
whatever other non-US-ASCII bits you might find on European keyboards.
If you want to set things up so that pressing a "function key" on the
keyboard executes a command or causes a sequence of other keys to be
pressed, the message-ID above should get you started.  HTH, bonne
chance....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Mario Giammarc » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:18:33

>> -let me easily config my keyboard.

> EXPN?  What is it that you really want to do with your keyboard?

A simple editor to swap caps lock with control or menu with super etc.
Or a decent manual page about xkboptions.

Howto map USB input devices and mouse buttons to key.

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 00:32:15

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:18:33 GMT, Mario Giammarco staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

>>> -let me easily config my keyboard.
>> EXPN?  What is it that you really want to do with your keyboard?
> A simple editor to swap caps lock with control or menu with super etc.

There is AFAIK no GUI for this, but if you read the man page for
xmodmap, it explains exactly how to map CapsLock to Control.  All
distros typically execute "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap" on X startup, so put all
your xmodmap commands in that file.  I guess there's no GUI for this
because the typical user doesn't want to remap the keyboard, and the
atypical user has no problem reading man pages and editing text files.

Quote:> Or a decent manual page about xkboptions.

Dunno.  Never used XKB.  What sources of documentation have you tried?
What was lacking?  Did you inform the documentation maintainer(s) about
the deficiencies?

Post by Mario Giammarc » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:00:42

> Dunno.  Never used XKB.  What sources of documentation have you tried?
> What was lacking?  Did you inform the documentation maintainer(s) about
> the deficiencies?

Xfree is just forking because maintainers do no accepts patch and
suggestions...